Dwarf Hairgrass - Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SumthingsFishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, recently started a 20g tall tank with some black skirts and neons, along with a albino pleco and a cory cat. Planted the tank with some swords and a few patches here and there of some dwarf hairgrass. About 50% of the hairgrass has surivived and the rest seems to be melting off. Im using floramax substrate and just started to feed the plants with aqueon plant food (20ml/day). Just wondering what you do to keep your plants looking green and growing and any tips on how to push the grass to start shooting off into other areas of the tank. would really like to start getting a nice carpet effect going with it. Thanks :)

-will also add photos of the tank later for reference

#1 since it is a tall tank you need a really strong light especially for hairgrass.
#2 also for hairgrass, it NEEDS some sort of Co2 supplement,(injected, glut, excel), I have gotten it to grow well with glut but it grows best with injected Co2.
#3 keep it cut short (about 1"). This will make it grow more out than up.

Also not familiar with flora ax but have heard it is like Eco complete. It doesn't mean you would never have to fertilize the substrate I would still put some root tabs in substrate. #1,2 are the most important factors to grow hairgrass.

#1 since it is a tall tank you need a really strong light especially for hairgrass.
#2 also for hairgrass, it NEEDS some sort of Co2 supplement,(injected, glut, excel), I have gotten it to grow well with glut but it grows best with injected Co2.
#3 keep it cut short (about 1"). This will make it grow more out than up.

Also not familiar with flora ax but have heard it is like Eco complete. It doesn't mean you would never have to fertilize the substrate I would still put some root tabs in substrate. #1,2 are the most important factors to grow hairgrass.

As said DHG is a high need plant. Ferts, co2, great lighting.

Caleb

I kind of figured I needed a strong light, just needed someone to tell me lol. I will head to the store and purchase some CO2 and root tabs at some point soon. Thanks for the tips :)

If you don't have the light yet I would suggest a Finnex. Fantastic lights, great quality, and quite cheap for how powerful they are.

Caleb

If you don't have the light yet I would suggest a Finnex. Fantastic lights, great quality, and quite cheap for how powerful they are.

Caleb

Have any links to where i can get them online? That is, if they aren't carried by petsmart and petco, since those are my only fish suppliers in the area, which is why im looking for good online aquarium suppliers.:)

Amazon is the best place to get them. Especially if you have a prime subscription. I got my 48 inch for about $150. The smaller ones are not any more than other brand LED's except these grow plants exceptionally well.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom