Dwarf sag and val runners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been trying to get my plants to make runners and they have which is awesome. I know you can either leave them on the stalk or cut them and transplant them once they are big enough. I found some runners against the glass but they are still sort of buried in the rocks. My question is should I pull them up on too of the gravel or let them do their thing as they are? They're definitely getting bigger and almost above the rocks

Here is a pic of what they look like - I also know this might mean there are more under the rocks that I can't see too

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416009255.855621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can just let them grow. Mine has taken over my tank and grows under decor and shells. It will not hurt anything.

Ok cool. I was kind of hoping so but wasn't sure if being buried like that would stunt them or anything

Thanks!

Apart from clearing swimming channels and feeding area at the front I have let my plants dictate where they spread to. The effect is for a really naturalistic planting. I have been amazed at the plants determination to grow where there's little light or from under bog wood. Nature at its best.

Too true. I have a water poppy.. something I didn't know much about. Turns out it makes runners.. one showed up in the darkest corner of the tank and shot up to the top practically overnight.. at first I thought it was just an errant leaf, but when I tried to move it over, discovered it was rooted already in the corner. Unexpected but kind of cool too.

Vals do the same, as do swords and sags. I've had some Vals grow up one atop the other to the point all the new leaves were crumpled up like accordions.. so I cut them apart to move them to more open spaces.

:) I get so excited for runners. I know it is probably silly but it makes me feel like hey, I can do this. I just added root tabs under them too - so I am hoping I get a bunch more. I had them under my big plants (swords Val's) but not the DS so I am hoping it will boost growth. Eventually hoping for it to pretty much be a carpet

If you can find some, I'm thinking you'd enjoy growing American swords. They are small.. have a grass like leaf blade that only gets a few inches long and send out a lot of runners in all directions. They can end up looking much like a slightly rough lawn. The leaves resemble the leaf of a Val to some degree, but never grow to the size Vals do.

Huh, I will definitely look for some! If I can't find it local maybe I will ask on here :)

Back
Top Bottom