dwarf sag weird growth pattern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm sitting here at work, and I look over at the 5 gallon on my desk, and I notice some long, green things down in the gravel up against the glass. I thought they must be roots from the dwarf sag but they didn't look right, too big and too green, so i looked closer, and it looks like leaves....way under the gravel, down by the bottom of the tank! They do have some little roots on them. Should I try and dig them up and get them in the light? Has anyone else ever seen this and why would this happen?

Tank specs: 5 gallon hex, 10 watts screw-in CF, plain gravel with Flourish tabs (just changed ~4 days ago), a bunch of crypts plus the sag, I add a bit of CSM+B, potassium and phosphate once a week. No CO2 (I was adding Excel but it caused the crypts to melt).

They're runners. That's how Dwarf Sag propogates. The should make their way to the surface by themselves. Mine sent out a runner that shot up two plants and then slammed into the glass. It got discouraged and hasn't sent out another runner since :(.

OK, I'll leave them be....just seems like they are really far down, (~2" or more) but I guess when they aren't near the glass we can't see what's going on in there!

I guess mine were only about an inch down. Maybe your dwarf sag has inner ear problems and can't figure out which way is up :). From what I've seen with mine the runners usually grow pretty quickly once they start, so if it doesn't seem to be making its way to the top you can always move it closer to the surface.

I had some that did the same running along the glass in front, eventually it rooted and made a new plant.

Completely normal with Sag. When I still had sag in one of my tanks, it would do this any time that a runner hit the glass. Eventually the leaves will grow enough and break the surface. You may leave it attached to the mother plant or detach and replant where ever you would prefer.

Back
Top Bottom