Easy low tech/low light plants for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some good ones? I was thinking
Amazon sword
Anubias nana
African water fern
Green tiger lotus
Cryptocoryne Beckettii
I just like these I don't really know anything about them so any suggestions would be nice. I can list the fish I'm going to be getting if I need to and its going to be sand substrate. Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Plants look pretty good low light stuff. One thing I've learned: loaches and new plants don't mix :) I come home to floating plants almost every day. I can't speak for Kuhli but my dojo loves the plants so much he likes to give them back to me at the top of the tank.

Other easy suggestions:
Hornwort
Star grass
Java Fern

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The star grass is a ground cover plant right? If so how easy is a ground cover? Also could I just put it in clumps or would it just grow and cover the bottom?

Another question what are the needs of the plants I listed? (I told you I knew nothing about them ?)

Swords and Cryptocoryne species need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. Java moss will attach itself to driftwood/rocks. Java Fern is tied down to driftwood or rocks and feeds off the water column.

I have never tried star grass- I have seen it recommended but don't have personal experience with it. Se for your tiger lotus.

Edit- Anubias is also tied down or you can just plant the roots but NOT the rhizome. The rhizome is the portion of the plant that everything stems from. It feeds off the water column.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom