Easy to grow mosses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebluespirit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks. I'm thinkin of adding some moss to my tank. On a small bit of flat wood most likely. My tank is basic low light and im wondering what types of moss i could try that are low maintenance(java moss is no fir that reason)

What's the issue you have with java moss? Most mosses are pretty low light and easy to work with. If you want something that stays really low, your best bet might be to unravel a marimo moss ball and fasten it to the wood. It's not technically moss, but that's ok.

The only issue i have with java moss is that its almost impossible to out of your tank once its in and established. It looks fine and its easy to grow but i'm curious about wgat other mosses people might suggest.
Actually i have a marimo. I may try that

The only issue i have with java moss is that its almost impossible to out of your tank once its in and established. It looks fine and its easy to grow but i'm curious about wgat other mosses people might suggest.
Actually i have a marimo. I may try that

Flame moss is another

Subwasserstang is considered one of the mosses in this hobby, but is sort of an oddball IMO. It still carries most of the traits of regular mosses though (attach to wood, low light, etc). Try the marimo ball, they look pretty neat unraveled like that. I also like Xmas moss and weeping moss :brows:

Subwassertang is actually a liverwort, interestingly enough. I think it's a bit more light hungry than most mosses though.

Oh yes, forgot to mention I tried subwasserstang before, and I found it did better raised up a little bit to the light (on a piece of DW or something) than being on the bottom where not much light is.

Oh yes, forgot to mention I tried subwasserstang before, and I found it did better raised up a little bit to the light (on a piece of DW or something) than being on the bottom where not much light is.

Subwassertang died on me. Then I accidentally threw some in my rimless 10g with LED light and it grows like mad. :/
Freshwater Seaweed is its nickname :)

I bought some Malaysian trumpet snails on aquabid and the gal tossed some subwassertang in as bonus. My shrimp like it a lot but I am realizing the lighting will need to be upgraded fast since it seems most of these "mosses" etc need more light when they are at the bottom.

Cheers folks. A lot of good info and suggestions. I've never heard of subwasser... But sounds interesting.
Mosses seem tough to come by around here but i can always use ebay if it comes to it.

Subwassertang is also called Pellia or Mini-Pellia or (Pelia). I don't know where you are at but try aquabid for plants too.

Back
Top Bottom