Eclipse Lighting & Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recieved a 5 gal Eclipse corner tank for Xmas, and the box says the light that comes with it is a 15 watt Incandescent bulb. Is this ok for low light plants?

Is there a cheap type of sand that some plants(Java Moss, Fern) will grow in or do I have to go with the $$$ stuff?

This will be a DP tank, so will Java Moss and Fern be enough to block the line of sight and lower aggression, or will I need some taller low light plants, or go with a mix of Java M&F and fake?

This is a great combination: Eclipse tank, sand substrate, java moss and fern on driftwood or rocks, and crypto planted. The java's don't need substrate at all, so that's not a worry. You can definitely mix fake and real, also, and the java's and crypts will grow fine there, though not vigorously.

Yep. Java moss and fern do not get "planted" per se, but attach themselves to objects and take nutrients from the water column. Crypts need to be planted, and have actual roots, and IME they do very well in sand tanks.

One more Q. A few people mentioned that an incandescent bulb isnt as good for plants as a PC or flourescent(sp?) bulb. Should I start shopping for a new bulb?

Is this an Eclipse with an incandescent fixture? I was not aware there were any Eclipses that had those - normally there would be a small PC fluoroescent tube in an Eclipse hood. Incandescent light is not going to grow plants at all.

You'll most likely find cryptocoryne wendtii as one of the more widely available crypto, at least that is the case around here. Most likely whatever species your better LFS will carry will do fine.

What I do is tie it on with black or dark green cotton thread. By the time the thread rots away the plant has attached itself. You can also use rubber bands, which will also tend to rot and fall apart after the plant is securely attached. Sometimes I can just shove the plant into a notch in the driftwood or otherwise wedge it in a spot where I want it to go and it will stay. With java moss I will sometimes leave some of it sortof floating - I adore that stuff!

If possible find some Amano shrimp! Probably the best algae eater out there. I just bought some for my 10 gal and they clean up everything. Probably have to start supplementing them soon.

Back
Top Bottom