eco-complete and phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nystina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! I have just finished replacing my old substrate with eco complete ( i read great reviews on this forum). Anyhoo, i did a phosphate test the next day and to my surprise it was over 10 ppm!!! I checked my tap water and it is 0 ppm. The packaging says there are no phosphates in eco complete.... i was wondering if anyone else has had this occurence?
Thanks everyone!
Nystina

Hmm. I doubt that the Eco-Complete is responsible. In your old substrate had you been using root tabs, fertilizer sticks or anything like that? When you replaced the substrate something got stirred up - that's my guess.

Water changes are in order to get the phosphate level down, or use a phosphate-removing media in your filter if water changes don't handle it right away.

Ya, i had been using plant tabs.. i didn't know that could be a cause. I have been changing the water and using a phosphate sponge and i'm almost back to "normal" :wink: Thanks for your help TankGirl!
Nystina

Back
Top Bottom