Eco Complete or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,
I am trying to decide on eco-complete or the substrate that aquariumplants.com sells.

Has anyone used either one? And what did you like or not like about them?

I've used Eco and still have it in 2 of my planted tanks, but I prefer ADA Aquasoil. Both are pricey for larger tanks though.

Eco has both smallish and larger size grains. The majority of it is like a larger sand, which is awesome. But, it has alot of small rock size pieces in it, which over time, make their way to the top. This isn't great for bottom feeders like Cories, but I never say any negative effects as far as my Cories' barbels go.

I've never used AP's substrate because the shipping was crazy high to me when I priced it. Also, I've heard its just a repackaged Soilmaster Select, but whether that is true or not, I don't know. I will let those that have used it comment on it.

If I were setting up a large planted tank, I would go with Soilmaster Select. Its about $15 for 50lbs. Check for a local Lesco (the SMS dealer) here: Welcome to LESCO.com.

If you're looking for a quality substrate at a reasonable price, I'd recommend Turface MVP. At $10 for 50lbs it's very reasonable. The hardest part is figuring out where to purchase it in your area, luckily if you contact the Manufacturer they are quite prompt about responding with a list of stores in your area that carry their products.

Lesco is becoming John Deere so you'll be very lucky to find some leftover especially if you want charcoal. The SMS is also being discontinued by Oildri, the company that produces it. Pro's choice Turface MVP seems to be comparable to SMS.

AquriumPlants.com swears their product is differant and better than SMS. I'm not convinced it's much better or differant, especially for the price they charge.

I'm seriously considering Turface plain potting soil in a small tank.

I do have 2 bags of Eco but I don't know what I'd use with it since the last 2 bags of SMS within 100 miles were sold a few days before I could pick them up. From what I uderstand he Turface is a lighter grey than the SMS so it wouln't look right with the Eco. I don't have enought to do the tanks with Eco only and more of it is to expensive.

Back
Top Bottom