Eco complete: some questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!

I have read: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=55466
but have a few questions (mainly about the practicalities) of using eco complete as a substrate.

I'm setting up a low-med tech planted tank (already run one using same methods) with EI fert dosing and Excel liquid organic carbon as opposed to gas injection.
While my current FW tank has an inert (gravel) substrate I've now got the opportunity to get a plant suited substrate like eco complete.

Here are my questions:

1. How big are the granules in eco complete? Is it like sand, or like gravel size?

2. I want to avoid any substrate that's like sand because of the worry of anaerobic patches forming: does eco complete compact down like sand does, and/or is there a risk of anaerobic patches forming?

3. I know that it doesnt need to be cleaned however I would like to keep fish stocking options open. I don't want mulm to build up, so have two related questions:
a) Can eco complete be used as a base layer (say 1") with a layer (say 2") of gravel on top? This would allow me to gravel vac the top gravel to get rid of large buildups of mulm at least (and it'd save me money too!).
b) How do you keep eco complete 'clean'? I know mulm is good for plants, but I don't want too much or I'd risk disease among inhabitants (e.g. dropsy from an unclean substrate).

TIA!!!

Oh, just to add, specs of this tank will be:
Size: 20G long (replacing my 20G tall)
Lighting: 1x36W T5 Compact Flourescent Daylight Plus = 1.8WPG
Carbon: Excel
Ferts: EI methods

coldmachineUK said:
Hi!

I have read: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=55466
but have a few questions (mainly about the practicalities) of using eco complete as a substrate.

I'm setting up a low-med tech planted tank (already run one using same methods) with EI fert dosing and Excel liquid organic carbon as opposed to gas injection.
While my current FW tank has an inert (gravel) substrate I've now got the opportunity to get a plant suited substrate like eco complete.

Here are my questions:

1. How big are the granules in eco complete? Is it like sand, or like gravel size?
it has multiple grain sizes from almost sand like to pea-gravel. it layers itself out after a while
2. I want to avoid any substrate that's like sand because of the worry of anaerobic patches forming: does eco complete compact down like sand does, and/or is there a risk of anaerobic patches forming?
not in my experience
3. I know that it doesnt need to be cleaned however I would like to keep fish stocking options open. I don't want mulm to build up, so have two related questions:
a) Can eco complete be used as a base layer (say 1") with a layer (say 2") of gravel on top? This would allow me to gravel vac the top gravel to get rid of large buildups of mulm at least (and it'd save me money too!).
yes, but the layers will eventually mix. if you go this rout (as i have in my 75 gallon, you should have at least 65-70% of the total substrate be eco
b) How do you keep eco complete 'clean'? I know mulm is good for plants, but I don't want too much or I'd risk disease among inhabitants (e.g. dropsy from an unclean substrate).
have had a problem with mulm in my tank that is 100% eco, but then i do have a good army of MTS
TIA!!!

Oh, just to add, specs of this tank will be:
Size: 20G long (replacing my 20G tall)
Lighting: 1x36W T5 Compact Flourescent Daylight Plus = 1.8WPG
Carbon: Excel
Ferts: EI methods

When using a specialty plant substrate, it needs to make up at least 50% of your substrate or it's simply a waste of money. Layered substrates will eventually mix, and the more replanting you do the faster this will happen.

Best way to avoid excessive mulm is to gravel vac any areas that aren't planted and under driftwood etc. For the remaining areas you can swirl the gravel vac over the plants to pick up the excess. Add in a few MTS and you should be set. They'll both clean the substrate and keep it from compacting too much.

Eco Complete is a wonderful substrate. I really appreciate the fact that it's not dusty, when setting up the tank or when re-arranging the plants.

As the others have said, it has different sizes of grains. Some are very fine like sand, and some are small to medium sized gravel bits. I wouldn't call any of the pieces large. The mix of sand to gravel sized bits is perfect. The smaller sand-size bits will fall to the bottom eventually to make a better layer for the roots. The top layer will look more gravelly as the bigger pieces remain on top.

I have had a sand substrate for a short time. The Eco doesn't compact as sand can. It feels loose as I work with it, topping and replanting, but it doesn't become unsettled and create a haze in the tank.

Like Purrbox says, layering with another substrate will eventually mix the two. Eco Complete has such a nice look on its own. I use a gravel vac once a week and vacuum the Eco just like a gravel substrate. Any patches of mulm that I see vac right up. I dig down into the substrate a little in some places. Sometimes a little bit of the finer sand layer gets sucked up, but after I dump the bucket I do my best to put that back in the tank. You really don't need to take any special precautions as you gravel vac the Eco Complete.

Back
Top Bottom