Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Educate Me

I'm still a newbie with fish, but I'm absolutely clueless about live plants. I plan to get about 2-3 "moss balls" (not sure what to call them... they're a bit larger than a golf ball and covered in moss) for my 30-gallon.

Do these (or any) aquatic plants need to be acclimated? If so, is it for temperature, pH, water quality, etc? Or, do they just get a rinse before adding them to the tank?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just chuck them in and they'll be fine.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

It kinda depends on how they're packaged IMO. Some folks sell/ship plants in a bag full of water. For this, I do float them to temp acclimate (don't ask me why, I just do). Others of us ship plants in almost no water at all (just enough to keep them damp). For those, they get a rinse and go right in the tank.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, next question...

I want a "centerpiece" plant for a 15" tall 30-gallon. So, I'd like it to grow to about 8" tall but NO more than 12" tall.

This must be a low-tech plant with nearly no requirements. I don't want it to require fertilizer. It must live with a daylight spectrum T8 fluorescent bulb. No CO2. Not toxic to community fish (if any plants are toxic... I wasn't sure). No special substrate required - only small-medium gravel. I'm willing to do some occasional trimming.

If such a plant doesn't exist, then so be it, but I'm not willing (at this time) to attempt something difficult (by my definition).
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sunset hygro.

It will need trimming, but as the leaves reach closer to the light they change from green to pink. Mine is growing in a tank with fertiliser under the gravel, but it should be fine with just gravel.

If you spread the stems out individually when planting, rather than in a bunch, the fish will swim/hide in it.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

how many watts is your light? by my understanding, moss balls need medium light, and can cause lots of issues (as they are giant balls of algae). maybe not the best plant for beginners (although they do look really cool)

an anubias of some type would be a good centerpiece IMO. you'll want to tie it to a rock or some driftwood with fishing line (or just make sure the rhizome is exposed if you have to put it in the gravel.) anubias are all low-light low maintenance plants, and some of the best looking IMO. anubias barteri is probably the most common type. mine is a good 10" tall right now.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe my light is 20W. Not 100% sure, though.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

it should say on the bulb. it should also give you the k rating (something like 6500k or 10,000k). did the light come with the tank? i'm guessing it's just barely enough for low-light plants. at plantgeek they sort aquatic plants for you by the lighting they require. just look at the low-light plants.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com