Egad, It's Everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings Fellow Aquarists!

In one of my freshwater tanks I have two Amazon sword plants. Right now they are covered with this brown substance which I take to be some kind of algae. Has anyone seen this before and how do I get it off my plants? I have 6 Platies and 2 American Flagfish who are supposed to be good algae eaters, but alas I think the bounty is too plentiful, at least on the plants. Thanks!

My first thing to do would be to try cutting down the amount of light the tank receives, your plants should be fine with this. I am sure someone else will have a much better answer.

brown substance?

does it brush off easily?

if it brushes off, it might be diatoms, where are little critters that thrive in low light and low oxygen eviroment... if it is diatoms, increase your light and your water movement - they should die off - but that may bring other algaes - it is a difficult balance!

but if it's something else, like Roger said, cutting your light would be a good way to start

If it is diatom algae then you need some Ottos. They will make quick work of the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom