El Niño Fern Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this a few months back. Not too sure it would live but it seems to be doing ok. It has babies popping up on the leaves. Not sure if I leave them and they will drop on their own? Or will the end up killing the parent plant and take over and I should let it happen?

Any info appreciated. I wonder what I should do to insure they survive. IMG_9394.jpg

No replies yet or luck on the internet. I have 3 leaves per sprout now. I figure I'll just watch it and see what happens. Nature un f'ed with. What a concept. Lol

I found the following thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/el-ni-o-fern-327502.html. It appears that you have successfully converted Bolbitis heteroclita to submersed form. From other threads on other forums, it appears that this plant grows better emersed. You can just glue or tie the new plants. It'll give a fuller appearance.

Well I bought it, tied it to a rock and tossed it in the tank. It successfully converted all by itself! I take no credit. The new plants popping up are where I'm stumped. Will they pop off on their own eventually or just keep growing attached to the leaves? I don't have a lot of height in that tank.

Well I bought it, tied it to a rock and tossed it in the tank. It successfully converted all by itself! I take no credit. The new plants popping up are where I'm stumped. Will they pop off on their own eventually or just keep growing attached to the leaves? I don't have a lot of height in that tank.

They'll eventually detach by some means, but I'd take them off and either toss them or plant them. Microsorum does the same thing. It is just asexually reproducing, and the host leaf will eventually die.

I managed to get them off without killing them. IMG_0451.jpg

Parent plants already has more buds on it too.
IMG_0452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom