Emerald76's 30 gal High Tech Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm officially high tech guys! Got lighting and CO2 for Xmas.... Only the parents went a bit overkill. The light is 5.4 watts per gal of T5HO. I asked for Finnex Ray 2. So I also got pressurized CO2, two 5 lb bottles. There is also 2 inches of Flourite and Floramax. An array of low light plants and some wood is the most it's got right now. 30 gal, and stocked with rummynose tetras, rams, cories, otos, and guppies. It's way over filtered also. Any interest would be great and help as always appreciated! I know I have another thread but the tank is completely different now.
Thanks,
Emerald76

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

So, 5.4 watts per gal, and dosing, I suppose daily now, Leaf Zone. Or should I dose every other day? Also, the tank is at ~3 bubbles per second of CO2. More or less? Should I shut off a pair of lights? That would drop wattage to ~2.5 per gal.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I don't know about this high tech stuff... you darn techies. I am certainly following!

If you could run only two lights that might be a good approach until you get the light-CO2-feet balance going.
What are the tank dimensions?
For ferts, I would go with either PPS-Pro or EI through GLA. Cost effective and effective ferts.
Do you have a drop checker? If so, try to keep things in the green (should be okay of it goes blue overnight and green when the CO2 is on). If not, then should get one. Hard to say if 3 BPS is too little or too much without the drop checker (DC).

Welcome to the dark side :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a drop checker. It is blue green right now. The tank is 36" long, 17" high, and 12" deep.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I have a drop checker. It is blue green right now. The tank is 36" long, 17" high, and 12" deep.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Good on the DC. How is the CO2 being introduced? Diffuser? For the longest time I was placing the diffuser just below the HOB intake and that seemed to work fine. However, when I upgraded the lighting I simply moved the diffuser so that the rising mist of bubbles was pushed down but the filter output. This is not visually the best (lots of tiny bubbles in the water) but I have been getting green to greenish yellow with the DCs on the opposite side of the tank.
That is a ton of light. I'm assuming 4x 39w as per your other thread. I've seen a PAR chart for that fixture; if I find it I will let you know. Just be mindful of the duration as you set the timer for this fixture. I generally have the CO2 start about 1-2 hours before lights on and turn the CO2 off about an hour before lights out.
That is a shallow tank (same height as my 20g long).

Good on the DC. How is the CO2 being introduced? Diffuser? For the longest time I was placing the diffuser just below the HOB intake and that seemed to work fine. However, when I upgraded the lighting I simply moved the diffuser so that the rising mist of bubbles was pushed down but the filter output. This is not visually the best (lots of tiny bubbles in the water) but I have been getting green to greenish yellow with the DCs on the opposite side of the tank.
That is a ton of light. I'm assuming 4x 39w as per your other thread. I've seen a PAR chart for that fixture; if I find it I will let you know. Just be mindful of the duration as you set the timer for this fixture. I generally have the CO2 start about 1-2 hours before lights on and turn the CO2 off about an hour before lights out.
That is a shallow tank (same height as my 20g long).

Maybe this could be of use...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419575855.096204.jpg

Edit: It may not show PAR measurements, but I think that it is a good reference. I found it one day when I was lurking on the Planted Tank forum. Hehe

I misread the dimensions: it's 17", not 12".
Here is the link I was referring to. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368
Under the "Low light, Medium light, High light" section there is a graph with various fixtures listed. There is no listing for a 4 bulb T5HO CoraLife fixture only the 2 bulb. If it is anywhere near the other 4 bulb units, that is a good amount of light.
The 5 pound CO2 tank will last you a long time (1 year?). My 24 oz tank lasts about 4.5 months.

Last edited:
The tank is already down to 900 psi- been in use for 2 days. It was at 1000.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Co2 diffuser is below HOB intake, yes. With my light, do I want green or yellow on the DC?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Ok, I'll order that one then. Been so busy with new puppies and all lately, need to catch up on my dog walking jobs and such before I order much.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Bwahhhhh oooawwwwww ghost of planted tanks past here.... i thought we talked about all this... bwahhhhh oohhhhhh ahhhh ghosty ghost ghost ghostttt sounds...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is already down to 900 psi- been in use for 2 days. It was at 1000.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That is quite a drop. Mine stays at 1000 psi until days/hours before it is empty. Not gradual at all. Which regulator did you get?

Aquatek paintball. Hi brookster... Ghosts of planted tanks past SHOO!!!! :) we spoke.... But my dad didn't get the whole TOO much light thing. Lol. More explaining needed there Mr. ghost! I don't want to be rude and return it because he was really nice to get it for me and all and it is an exceptionally expensive light. He's not exactly easy to explain that you don't like his present to. He's trying to understand what I'm doing and I love him dearly for it. He tried really hard on this one and so the ghost will just have to find a new home. I'm going to make this work. Eventually. Even if it looks awful for the next 3 years, I'll make it nice for one last day before I go to college.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Heheh.. maybe run 2 bulbs for starters.. i only say this stuff because I know how fast things can swing on you/me.. nothing but love and respect til the end..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, that's what's running. ~3 bps alsp

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Before

During

After
(With severe crop so you don't see the ugliness that is my room)
Suggestions? I have a few more rocks also

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Oh also the rocks are dark grey, here's a photo. Glare happened on the top post :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Tank looks fine. The plants should fill on. What is the plant in the center? Be sure to keep at least 1-1.5" between the stems so that the lower portions get adequate light and flow.
What other plants do you plan on buying?

Back
Top Bottom