Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Emersed tank?

Hello all, I am currently rescaping my 29g with fluorite black sand and wondering what plants are best to grow emersed. I would just have the sand and a small amount of water in there to grow plants emersed until I move my fish back in. Is there any suggestions for this technique? Thank you in advance.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_117 View Post
Hello all, I am currently rescaping my 29g with fluorite black sand and wondering what plants are best to grow emersed. I would just have the sand and a small amount of water in there to grow plants emersed until I move my fish back in. Is there any suggestions for this technique? Thank you in advance.

HC Cuba, all rotala's, Java ferns, s repens, AR mini are just a few that can be grown emersed. Make sure u keep your water level below the top of the substrate and water change every few days. Mist your plants 1-2 times per day

Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for the advice! Are there any plants that will carpet while emersed or is that better left to co2 injections? Also is there a set time I should grow them emersed or just until they've grown enough?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! Are there any plants that will carpet while emersed or is that better left to co2 injections? Also is there a set time I should grow them emersed or just until they've grown enough?

HC Cuba and Monte Carlo will carpet. I did a dry start in a nano that went quite well. However algae is hard to keep away generally.

If grown emersed plants get atmospheric co2 (a lot more than any injected tank can give) so they grow just fine. However once u flood the take u need to really pump the co2 for the first week and then lower it down slowly to let the plants adjust. HC and mc are pretty heavy on the co2.

U can grow them for as long as u want emersed. I carpeted a 2g in 7 weeks. U could do the same in larger tanks of u plant heavy.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I see, I don't babe a co2 system right now but when I "restart" the tank I may invest in one. If not that then dose excel for a while. I'll keep all this in mind, thank you again!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I finally did more reading and now the light in my brain is on. I know the difference between emersed vrs submersed.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I see, I don't babe a co2 system right now but when I "restart" the tank I may invest in one. If not that then dose excel for a while. I'll keep all this in mind, thank you again!

Crypt parva is a non co2 carpet plant and can look really good! Can also be grown emersed. However it's a slow grower so don't expect it to fill a tank in a few weeks
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I finally did more reading and now the light in my brain is on. I know the difference between emersed vrs submersed.

It's a really cool experiment if u have a plastic tub and some substrate laying around! Just use a desk lamp with a 6500k. It's worth doing! The plants look very different when grown emersed!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a few links
https://aquaticmag.com/freshwater/dr...o-it-yourself/

http://www.z-aquatics.com.au/blog/dr...-method-guide/

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...nted-aquariums

These should have everything u need to know
Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was actually looking into the the plastic tub idea! My only issue with that is I live near a police station and don't want to look like I'm doing anything illegal 😂 but I did have that as a legitimate plan for a while
Old 04-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, do you think Fluorite black sand is an acceptable substrate for this method or will it be too thick/compact for root growth?
Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was actually looking into the the plastic tub idea! My only issue with that is I live near a police station and don't want to look like I'm doing anything illegal but I did have that as a legitimate plan for a while

Haha yea I plan on setting one up soon. I only found out the other day that rotala can be grown emersed so I'm keen to try it I've got an old 30g laying around so I might turn that into an emersed growth scape! Just for something different!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Also, do you think Fluorite black sand is an acceptable substrate for this method or will it be too thick/compact for root growth?

That will do just fine. I'd throw some root tab in there too just so u don't have to use ferts in your misting water. I found that misting with ferts tended to burn the plants
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
It's a really cool experiment if u have a plastic tub and some substrate laying around! Just use a desk lamp with a 6500k. It's worth doing! The plants look very different when grown emersed!

I have done this but I didn't know what it was called! I have this moss that grows in my yard that I do it will. It looks great in tanks but after 6 months or so it gets leggy even with trimming. Here is a patch I submerged about a month ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	297574
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I have done this but I didn't know what it was called! I have this moss that grows in my yard that I do it will. It looks great in tanks but after 6 months or so it gets leggy even with trimming. Here is a patch I submerged about a month ago. Attachment 297574

Looks awesome!

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com