Empty tank, thinking about plants (Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneezy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I've currently got an empty 29 gallon tank with an eclipse hood/filter that I'd like to put to use. I don't have any previous experience with planted tanks but they look so gorgeous I promised myself that I would give one a try if I ever got my tank up and running again, but I'd prefer to save myself some frustration (and money) if my current plans are unrealistic.

I know the lighting is going to be pretty restrictive (I think it's got 2 15watt bulbs), but is it likely to be able to support enough variety to make it worth the effort? Or would I be better off investing in a new lighting and filtration system now? I'd prefer to stick with what I've got if I can, but if it's going to limit me to only two plants I'd rather upgrade. If an upgrade is necessary, any suggestions?

I'm also wondering how plants in a tank affect fish - does the presence/amount of live plants change the basic guidelines for stocking a tank?

Any tips/advice is very welcome! :D

You can do a low light planted tank with that and not have to worry about extra carbon or fertilizers. Plants such as crypts, java fern, java moss, anubias, and bolbitis are great choices for low light planted tanks.

Just get some root tabs for your substrate and place them underneath your crypts to keep them happy.

Oh good, so there are a handful that should work! Thanks :D

I'm getting some eco-complete substrate for the tank, would that still need the root tabs added for crypts? (And fertilizer for any other plants as well I'm assuming?)

Plants provide natural cover fishes. The fish would appreciate live plants. Not only do they give your fish some natural hiding/play places, they improve water quality. Depending on how heavy you stock your tank with plants, the natural filtration plants do will vary. Basically, the more plants the better. Don't stress yourself on loading your tank with plants all at once, you can slowly add in plants to conserve currency. Or, you can go ahead and add a lot of plants all at once and get it over with. Plants can help with the cycling process too. But then again, depending on you, you can add them whenever you want. Plants offer many great benefits, they just require a little more care whereas plastic don't, other than to clean them once a while.

Back
Top Bottom