Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Enough light for dwarf hair grass ?

Hi fellow fish addicts, my aquarium is 20 gallon long, it's the light is 6 cm from the water and the water is 32 cm from top to bottom where my dwarf hair grass are, so 38 cm in total between the light and the dwarf hair grass.

So here goes my question, I have a finnex fugeray planted + (not the 24/7) and it says it give around 22 watts but me looking at the tank it feels like it's enough can I get more info on this ?
Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455972158.424243.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	284949

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have had the same fixture (Finnex Planted+) on my 20g long for about a year and a half and have had great results with it. I have run it solo for the most part and at times have paired it up with either a Finnex FugeRay, a Finnex 24/7, or a pair of 26w 6500k CFLs.
You will have better success with some form of carbon whether it be a liquid product (Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster, Glutaraldehyde/Metricide 14) or DIY CO2 (yeast or citric acid based) or pressurized CO2. I did yeast based DIY CO2 for a year and it helped the plants I was growing under the Finnex FugeRay.
LEDs are typically measured in the amount of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) at a given distance rather than wattage (more popular with T-8 and T-10 fluorescent tubes). PAR charts for given fixtures can be found on the web. At 12" (which should be the approximate distance from fixture to substrate for your tank) the FugeRay produces about 45 PAR, the Planted+ produces 61 PAR, and the 24/7 a bit more than the Planted+ (not exactly sure what the value is).
I've not grown hair grass or dwarf hair grass but that is on the bucket list.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

Thanks for taking your time to answer and thanks for the useful information, so what you are saying is that there's enough par rating to grow hair grass ?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Enough light for dwarf hair grass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Swindell View Post
Thanks for taking your time to answer and thanks for the useful information, so what you are saying is that there's enough par rating to grow hair grass ?
Thanks

I Googled "hair grass PAR" and one of the links pointed be back to AA with a thread that has a 29g and a planted+:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ts-337872.html
Some helpful info in here. Hope it answers your question.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

+1 you will do fine with that!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Thanks fresh2o and thigh that helped

Tags
air, dwarf, grass, hair, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com