Enough water movment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I plan on setting up a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter. I plan on having the water be pumped into a cave to help hide the plumbing. My worry is that the surface will be stagnant. Is there a way to alliviate this with maybe some type of "skimmer" or any other ideas?

A koralia power head is a great addition, I just added one to my 55G recently, I got a #1. I could have prob used a #2 instead when my plants grow in more. This is to go with a Fluval 304 canister filter.

These PH's have a wide flow pattern that moves lots of water but not in a high pressure narrow stream type flow.

I'm injecting Co2 into the tank, wont an airstone outgas some of the Co2? As for the powerhead, how big is it? I am looking to creat as minimal clutter as possible, everything is going to be inline, the heater and Co2 injection so i will only have an intake and an outtake.

You wouldn't want the airstone with CO2 injection. I'd recommend setting up a spray bar at the back which is directed to create a nice ripple across the water surface. This would be enough to get good oxygen exchange without loosing too much CO2. If you've got a black spraybar against a black background it won't be all that noticable.

The powerheads are not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In my 55G I dont want to put the PH low in the tank to take up any ground space, so its on the side either front(angled to the back) or on the back straight across. I'm thinking about jumping to the pressurized CO2 side also, if I do I will be putting my eater/co2 inline also.

I guess the only way around it would be to get an external pump and make an inlet/outlet for it also.

Although some of the other powerheads(not an expert by far) seem to be more of a HOB type at the top.

Back
Top Bottom