Enriched substrate longevity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Just getting a little more daring in my attempts with planted tanks. I am setting up a new 75 gallon tank. I used a mixture of Eco Complete with the gravel.

I was wondering if you need to add more enriched substrate material eventually, or is this it?

I would think if it is providing nurtients for the plants, it would get used up eventually and need to be replaced. But, what do I know.

Anyone have an answer?

Since you used a mixture, it will depend on what ratio's you used AFAIK. It's a little different if you used an entire Eco substrate only, which will probably last forver.

So 75gallon tank...how many bags of Eco did you use? You need at least 50% Eco to make it worth using, otherwise you dilute it's nutrient holding capacity to the point where it becomes expensive gravel.

Normally, eco complete pretty much lasts forever.

We used 40 lbs, have about 90 lbs total gravel in the tank.

From what you said malkore, is Eco like a nutrient sponge? Does it suck up excess nutrients that the plant roots can pull from. Otherwise I think it would be like any other soil, you have to add nutrients to it to keep things growing...

eco complete has some trace nutrients in it, but its real advantage is how it holds nutrients in tiny pores on the surface, so that plant roots can access it more readily. Plus it separates out into 2 layers (2 grain sizes in the bag) which helps keep water circulation in the upper substrate, but less in the deeper areas.

flourite, on the other hand, is a fired clay type substrate, rich in iron, that very slowly erodes, to provide nutients to roots. (never heard a story of flourite getting used up...it will likely outlive you)

You probably have enough to make it worthwhile. See how it settles out. If your other gravel was a different size and density, your tank will slowly layer itself over the years.

Back
Top Bottom