Equilibrium & Magnesium Deficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rak9378

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently noticed the leaves on my banana plant and some of the anubias in my tank are becoming a pale green/almost yellow...as if the color is draining. But the veins of the leaves remain dark green. After doing some research I think I may have a magnesium deficiency. Researching magnesium led me to learning about water hardness/softness and GH and KH which honestly are parameters I have all but ignored up to this point.

So I tested my tank water for GH and KH and it turns out I have relatively soft water:

GH: 71.6ppm (4dh)
KH: 71.6ppm (4dh)

So I have starting dosing Seachem's Equilibrium to try and raise the hardness to 6dh and increase magnesium. First dose was yesterday. My question is will Equilibrium have enough Magnesium to reverse the deficiency? I realize this may be difficult to answer without knowing the level of Magnesium in the tank. I haven't tested it but according to a water report from my Town I have 5.4ppm of Magnesium out of the tap.

Here are the details of the tank:

54g corner bow front
Dosing macro and micro ferts using EI method
No pressurized CO2 but I am dosing Excel
Lighting is a T5 HO with 2 6,700k bulbs that run for 9 hours on a timer
Full bioload
Pretty heavily planted

I'm sure I'm leaving out details so please ask any questions. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom