Erythromycin tx for cyano, opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going to start treating my tank today. Any advice? Have enough on hand to treat for 4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will def be testing. Did a search here & read everything on cyano & that was one of the things Rivercats mentioned.

Good luck! Would be interested in results as have only ever used h2o2 on a small patch. I have a note that nitrates under 10ppm can encourage it and wondered if you had found this to be true?

I do think that s possible. I read that a few weeks ago & have been adding nitrates . But maybe they ve been low for awhile & that s why the cyano took over.

At the time my nitrates had dropped down and were around 10'ish and trending below so I thought this could be plausible.

Since then nitrates have always been up and never seen it but could well be other stuff going on.

Rodeo - Did you start treatment already? If not, then do a big water change prior to this. While siphoning out the water, remove as much cyano as possible. I cannot remember when a WC is recommended but I think I did not change mine for 10 days. Treatment for 5 days. Most of the cyano was gone by then. Even after day 6 the EM will still be active and the cyano will be in the process of dying.
Good luck!

Hi Fresh. Yes, started treatment yesterday, did a very thorough cleaning, threw away the DW & did a rock arrangement instead. The DW seemed to be Cyano Central.
Tested tonight , ammonia 0, nitrate 10, phos 2. Only had the funds for 4 days of treatment ?, but will def wait & do a WC in 10 days. Also set lights for 4 hrs.

Was going to wait 10 days for a WC but today's tests show ammonia .25, nitrate 40 & phos 5 so will do a 50% WC this am. Just need a little more coffee. Wondering if the high nitrates are due to cutting back a lot of the plants before I started tx.

Yeah, fish health comes first. Are you seeing a reduction in BGA? It may continue for the next few days even after the WC.

Yeah, the tank looks great. Would post a pic but 'I ve exceeded my quota' & don t know how to correct that?!?!

Yeah, the tank looks great. Would post a pic but 'I ve exceeded my quota' & don t know how to correct that?!?!

Glad the treatment worked!! did it fuss with the bio filter? You can use a 3rd party image hosting site, fresh can help with that. I'm lazy.. i just paid the $14 for premium membership;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the paid membership, but mostly for the unlimited PMs. I have posted pics in my albums, but accessing the albums with a mobile app is a challenge.
I use Imgur as a photo hosting site. Sign up, create an account, upload pics, grab the URL/links to the pics, paste them in you posts. Was using an app called ImgurApp to do the above tasks but had trouble with it so now I am using an app called Pocketgur.
There are other 3rd party sites you can use such as Photobucket and possibly Flickr.

Just downloaded Photobucket so will see if I can figure that out. Thanks for the help & encouragement :). I didn t have the funds for the membership, hubby not working & 3 50g tanks to maintain equals no extra cash.

Congrats on beating the BGA and the photobucket posting. Tank looks nice.

Brookster, all water tests were great today! Fish are fine. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom