Estimative Index testimonial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was eventually going to write this, but just now came up with the time to do so. My main reason for writing this is to allow people who are contemplating using either EI or PPS-Pro to have any easier decision. Note: I'm writing this based on my experience; other people will have different experiences, but every tank is different after all.

A little under a month ago, I switched my fertilizing regime over from PPS-Pro to Estimative Index. My main reason was to see how it affected the growth of my plants and to see if I could get even more lush growth from my plants. I did notice a bit more growth out of my plants, but the plants still looked the same in terms of health. In terms of algae, nothing changed in that aspect besides one thing (I'll get to that later). I still had to scrub algae off the glass, but that is basically unavoidable anyway. A little algae growth is healthy anyway--notice how I said a little. I liked the plant growth overall. I performed big water changes of around 40-50% once a week. This task wasn't too bad, but did I find myself doing an extra 20-30 minutes of maintenance. The thing I didn't like was that the tank seemed to appear dirty, even with the big water changes. Another big water change probably would of taken care of this, which I would of started doing, but a nasty green water algae bloom appeared in my tank a couple weeks into using this regimen. Yes, 2 big water changes a week would of probably prevented this. I determined that PPS-Pro was the best for me because it had worked previously and it wouldn't overload my tank's water column with too many ferts than what my plants needed. You can cut back on EI, but I find that PPS-Pro is easier to use if you're aiming for certain levels and not just guessing. My tank has pretty good lighting at 70 PAR, and I run pressurized CO2. EI sounded like a good idea, but having too much of a good thing isn't always the best in my opinion. Now, I'm not saying that EI is bad. In fact, it worked pretty well for my tank for a short period of time.

I think PPS-Pro is for you if:
• You don't mind testing your water.
• If you don't like performing huge water changes.
• If you're aiming for certain fert levels, which means that you'll have to adjust your dosing specifically for your tank.

I think EI is for you if:
• You don't like testing your water.
• If you don't mind performing large water changes.
• If you have super high lighting. (EI can be used at all lighting levels though; adjustments will have to be made depending on what lighting level that is)
• If a majority of your plants are very demanding in terms of fertilizer levels.
• If you want to best avoid having nutrient deficiencies in your tank.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A nice read. I like testing my water so have modified the ferts program from that. Sometimes I think CO2 doesn't get enough of a mention. I'm looking around to get a second CO2 bottle just so I don't run out mid-week.

Wondering what nitrate, etc levels you aim for?

It's nice to hear feedback from someone who has tried both of the two most popular comprehensive dosing methods in our hobby. I personally have enjoyed great success with pps-pro so I never found the need to switch to EI. I think your lists guiding folks to one method or the other is sound.

The biggest problem i see is that a month is hardly long enough to judge the efficacy of a fert regimen, especially when you had a green water bloom in the middle of it.

Were you using the potassium nitrate in the ei as well?

A nice read. I like testing my water so have modified the ferts program from that. Sometimes I think CO2 doesn't get enough of a mention. I'm looking around to get a second CO2 bottle just so I don't run out mid-week.

Wondering what nitrate, etc levels you aim for?

I aim for 10 PPM of nitrate and 5 PPM of phosphate. I go a tinge over at times, but I don't like going way over.

It's nice to hear feedback from someone who has tried both of the two most popular comprehensive dosing methods in our hobby. I personally have enjoyed great success with pps-pro so I never found the need to switch to EI. I think your lists guiding folks to one method or the other is sound.

Thank you!

The biggest problem i see is that a month is hardly long enough to judge the efficacy of a fert regimen, especially when you had a green water bloom in the middle of it.

Were you using the potassium nitrate in the ei as well?

I would've kept dosing EI longer, but I just felt that it didn't add enough benefits for me to keep using it. The plant growth was great, but not much different from that of PPS-Pro (I overdose a little bit with this method). I did dose KNO3, but not nearly as much as standard EI recommended. I dosed it for two days at half of the recommended dose a week. I think the main problem I ran into was that I didn't perform enough water changes, or even large enough (I eyeballed the 50% water change), which eventually led to a buildup of too many nutrients. Again, I think water changes are super vital to being successful with EI, unless one starts testing their water and cuts back on dosing.

Oh, and I would like to add that I only aim for specific levels because it works for my tank. Other tanks might need more or less depending on lighting and CO2. I'm glad Rivercats recommended it to me a few years ago. This is what she told me, and I stand by it:

She also helped me stock my tank too haha!

Nice review Fish...
Rivercats is sorely missed in our community...
A true "Plant Whisper"!

sit in silence...

That lady had skills!! Seriously... since we're reminiscing... dragon was pretty sick with the gbr game! Miss her as well! Great write up fish! I'm pretty sure I dose pps pro but it's probably closer to ei. I'm pretty heavy on the wc's though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The biggest benefit of EI is you can rule out all deficiencies and focus on the most important factors light and co2.

I was eventually going to write this, but just now came up with the time to do so. My main reason for writing this is to allow people who are contemplating using either EI or PPS-Pro to have any easier decision. Note: I'm writing this based on my experience; other people will have different experiences, but every tank is different after all.

A little under a month ago, I switched my fertilizing regime over from PPS-Pro to Estimative Index. My main reason was to see how it affected the growth of my plants and to see if I could get even more lush growth from my plants. I did notice a bit more growth out of my plants, but the plants still looked the same in terms of health. In terms of algae, nothing changed in that aspect besides one thing (I'll get to that later). I still had to scrub algae off the glass, but that is basically unavoidable anyway. A little algae growth is healthy anyway--notice how I said a little. I liked the plant growth overall. I performed big water changes of around 40-50% once a week. This task wasn't too bad, but did I find myself doing an extra 20-30 minutes of maintenance. The thing I didn't like was that the tank seemed to appear dirty, even with the big water changes. Another big water change probably would of taken care of this, which I would of started doing, but a nasty green water algae bloom appeared in my tank a couple weeks into using this regimen. Yes, 2 big water changes a week would of probably prevented this. I determined that PPS-Pro was the best for me because it had worked previously and it wouldn't overload my tank's water column with too many ferts than what my plants needed. You can cut back on EI, but I find that PPS-Pro is easier to use if you're aiming for certain levels and not just guessing. My tank has pretty good lighting at 70 PAR, and I run pressurized CO2. EI sounded like a good idea, but having too much of a good thing isn't always the best in my opinion. Now, I'm not saying that EI is bad. In fact, it worked pretty well for my tank for a short period of time.

I think PPS-Pro is for you if:
• You don't mind testing your water.
• If you don't like performing huge water changes.
• If you're aiming for certain fert levels, which means that you'll have to adjust your dosing specifically for your tank.

I think EI is for you if:
• You don't like testing your water.
• If you don't mind performing large water changes.
• If you have super high lighting. (EI can be used at all lighting levels though; adjustments will have to be made depending on what lighting level that is)
• If a majority of your plants are very demanding in terms of fertilizer levels.
• If you want to best avoid having nutrient deficiencies in your tank.

Thanks for reading!

Nice review of your own personal experience with both dosing regimens!
I've been mulling over the idea of changing dosig regimens from pps to ei with the 20L but
if it isn't broken why try to fix it...
I will however using ei to start a 40b in the future using similar plants.

sit in silence...

That lady had skills!! Seriously... since we're reminiscing... dragon was pretty sick with the gbr game! Miss her as well! Great write up fish! I'm pretty sure I dose pps pro but it's probably closer to ei. I'm pretty heavy on the wc's though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, Brookster! Hopefully some of the old AA legends come back someday!

Nice review of your own personal experience with both dosing regimens!
I've been mulling over the idea of changing dosig regimens from pps to ei with the 20L but
if it isn't broken why try to fix it...
I will however using ei to start a 40b in the future using similar plants.

sit in silence...

Thanks! Yeah, I think your 20L looks great right now, so I wouldn't change anything. I'll be interested to hear what you think about EI when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom