Extreme makeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS is having a planted tank show in two months and I am planning on entering my 5 gallon aquarium into the show. I need some advice on plants and fish to add because right now it is just pathetic.

In all reality, you're probably not going to be able to compete with CO2 tanks with a non-CO2 tank. Up side is that DIY CO2 is great on <10g tanks.

Thanks aqua chem. I'm thinking of setting up a DIY co2 soon. What would be good foreground plants.

Good lowlight foreground plants are staurogyne repens, glosso(?) , dwarf hairgrass?
I dont think you could get a good thick carpet anytime soon with med light and DIY though.

Vallisneria makes a cool carpet plant, frog it too maybe

Dwarf sag does great for carpeting at your conditions. It may be too tall for a 10 gallon though.

Atxpunx said:
Dwarf sag does great for carpeting at your conditions. It may be too tall for a 10 gallon though.

Ya i have some and it doesnt get TOO tall, but its def not short. I got maybe 4 runners in like 4 months tho, with diy

I think I'll try add some dwarf hair grass. I would like some crypts and mini vals.

I have managed to get some what of a carpet with dwarf sag, here's a picture of what it looks like in my tank

image-2351646627.jpg

Philip99 said:
I have managed to get some what of a carpet with dwarf sag, here's a picture of what it looks like in my tank

Nice layout on your tank..really sweet..

1- Get driftwood
2- Get slate
3- Get 2 ten watt 6000K fluorescents if possible
4- Get DIY CO2 and black or white sand and plant substrate
5- For plants, get green and red foxtail, ludwigia repens, Riccia flutians, dwarf sag, micro sword, vallisnera
6- Plant ASAP
7- Post photos
8- Replant if necessary
9- Add red cherry and amano shrimp
10- Add a blue or red or purple or white male betta or a school of CPDs or any small Rasbora species(not harlequins)

You obviously planned this out well. I like the plant ideas. I can't get new lights sadly. I also can't get fancy shrimp or slate. I will try the rasboras or cpds.

Well I lost the contest but I'll be back next year. I've got a plan. I'm going to use chinese zebra stone to create sort of a zen layout. I have a LED light and a DIY co2. I might use liliopsis as foreground and crypts for mid. I want to use schooling fish so cpds or ember tetras.

Back
Top Bottom