extremely low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
are there any plants that can grow in extremely low light? my tank is 29 gallons, and i have one 17 watt bulb (Aqueon® Floramax T8 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp). :thanks:

thanks. do you have experience growing with very low light?

do you have experience growing with very low light?

My first setup had the same exact light you have, grew a huge ozelot sword and some crypts!

i really want some java moss, but i can't find any near me...

can you tell me more about how you grew them? like the nutrients and co2 stuff? I just don't want to go out buying too much things.

Basically.. For any sword or crypt, root tabs is all, any java's or anubias a little flourish and leaf zone go a long way.. Excel or API co2 booster will help with growth but is not necessary in your setup..

cool thanks. I wonder how much of it did you use? how often too?

I have 29 gallon with the same light bulb. I took it apart cuz I wanted a better light but didnt want to pay for an expensive set up. I found double socket ligth fixtures from amazon and add 4 x 20 watt cfl at 6500k from walmart. I also use diy co2 and flourite.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397612194482.jpg
    1397612194482.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 1397612212776.jpg
    1397612212776.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 1397612238728.jpg
    1397612238728.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 79
I have 29 gallon with the same light bulb. I took it apart cuz I wanted a better light but didnt want to pay for an expensive set up. I found double socket ligth fixtures from amazon and add 4 x 20 watt cfl at 6500k from walmart. I also use diy co2 and flourite.

Hey did you have to wire those fixtures yourself?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey I'm wanting to switch out my t5s in my 55 hood for four of those. Did you have to wire them yourself? I looked on eBay and Amazon and didn't find any that don't have to be wired.

Hey I'm wanting to switch out my t5s in my 55 hood for four of those. Did you have to wire them yourself? I looked on eBay and Amazon and didn't find any that don't have to be wired.

Yes, they have to be wired but it's super easy. Trust me, I dont have any electrical experience whats so ever and if I can do it, anyone can.

I used a cord for each socket, but you could use one for both sockets. The reason I used two is because I didnt want to light the aquarium all at the same time. When my lights come on the left side come on first ( two bulbs) then 15 mins later the right turns on. This way it doesn't stress/ startle the fish as bad.

If you want a cheap way to do co2 injection do a diy system it has shown good results for me in my 5 gallon. Just use a larger mixture for a bigger tank.

Yes, they have to be wired but it's super easy. Trust me, I dont have any electrical experience whats so ever and if I can do it, anyone can.

I used a cord for each socket, but you could use one for both sockets. The reason I used two is because I didnt want to light the aquarium all at the same time. When my lights come on the left side come on first ( two bulbs) then 15 mins later the right turns on. This way it doesn't stress/ startle the fish as bad.

Awesome thanks!

Back
Top Bottom