Eye Dropper or Syringe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking for something to Excel dose spot algae with as far as a tool, maybe a syringe or eye dropper. Where would I get one of these? Is there any reason I can't use this same tool for dosing Prime as well when I do water changes or should I get a separate one?

I would recommend picking up a children's medicine dropper. I dose all of my fert solutions and dechlor this way. Costs about a $1 and can be obtained from the pharmacy dept of your grocery store or big box store.

Pharmacys are required by law to provide syringes to anyone who asks regardless if they think you a junkie by asking.

Hoovercat said:
Pharmacys are required by law to provide syringes to anyone who asks regardless if they think you a junkie by asking.

Really? Interesting.

If you have a Walgreens near by, you can ask the pharmacy for some of them pretty much exactly like what you just posted. I use the 5 ml ones for test kits so I don't have to dip the tube in there, and 1 ml ones for dosing Prime and Excel on small tanks.

theotheragentm said:

Any of those would work. I have some like the top link that I got from work (hospital). I have varying sizes for different things, so you might want to get one each of the 12 and 3cc syringes. On the other hand, the ones in the second link might be a tad easier to use when spot treating. Either would work though really, so its up to you. ;)

I didn't know that DrFS had syringes - I see now - you're on the dog site and I don't log onto that area. I'll bookmark it for future reference.

I did go to Walgreen's based on another post that said they have good syringes for fert dosing. I picked up a 1 cc-ml syringe without a needle. I offered to pay, saying it was not for medicinal use (I did explain it was to dose liquid fertilizers into an aquarium!) and they wouldn't take any payment.

I wonder what Walgreen's will say when I go and ask for a 10cc syringe? Yeah, I really need a pick me up.

theotheragentm said:
I wonder what Walgreen's will say when I go and ask for a 10cc syringe? Yeah, I really need a pick me up.

Walgreens sells a 10cc syringe for oral children's meds for about $3. You wouldn't even have to explain what its for. :lol:

JustOneMore20 said:
theotheragentm said:

Walgreens sells a 10cc syringe for oral children's meds for about $3. You wouldn't even have to explain what its for. :lol:

That's part of the fun though. Then I can change my user name to JustOneMore10cc. :)

Eye dropper

I prefer using eye droppers for all my dosing needs. I like it because you can store a lot of the fluid in the dropper bottle and not have to bother with a seperate larger bottle all the time. I tried two different vendors on ebay. Please do not buy from Saltheking, he is the most offensive person I have ever dealt with. My second order with avogadroslabsupply was much much better. Plus they had larger bottles.
http://myworld.ebay.com/avogadroslabsupply

The semi annoying thing about the droppers was that they dose in about .75-.95 ml per dropper full.

most places like dollar general, family dollar, walmart, etc. have differnet sized eye droppers. I seen one at ahardware store used for gardening that was like a foot long, I don't knwo what kind of measuring marks it had on it though, I didn't bother to check.

Back
Top Bottom