Fake Driftwood vs. Real Driftwood in the planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am new to this forum and my first question is about driftwood. My fake driftwood makes a good centerpiece at the moment, but I would like to see if I could get real driftwood one day. I like the idea of attaching java moss to real driftwood, and I think it would make my tank look more natural. What are the cons of real driftwood? What are the pros? Could driftwood help to lower my pH below 7? Experiences with driftwood? Thanks in advance!

Driftwood

I am new to this forum and my first question is about driftwood. My fake driftwood makes a good centerpiece at the moment, but I would like to see if I could get real driftwood one day. I like the idea of attaching java moss to real driftwood, and I think it would make my tank look more natural. What are the cons of real driftwood? What are the pros? Could driftwood help to lower my pH below 7? Experiences with driftwood? Thanks in advance!

Hello fish...

No drawbacks with the real thing. If you can, go hunting and get your own pieces. That's what I do. Tannic acid will sometimes leach from the pieces you buy in the store and will lower the pH in your tank a bit temporarily, but a few large water changes will take care of this issue. The pieces you find locally will need to be weighed down, so don't forget to get some fairly large rocks. Just rinse everything real well and it will be tank ready.

B

Real, real, real....keep fake stuff to a minimum. You will be more satisfied with the result. BTW, Chiclid ism's driftwood is perfection. Also - some of us (me) actually like the tannin leaching into the water.

The piece in the center is my wild dw in my brand new set up. The other 2 are Mopani that I got at petco. Mopani does tend to leach a lot but it is so twisty and darkly beautiful and no 2 pieces are even close to alike, real dw is just awesome!!!!!!

If you want a big nice piece of drift wood check at petstores until you see a nice one I have
Three pieces in my tanks and I love them. Try and have some Anubis on the drift wood!

Wow. I'm definitely going to get real driftwood now. I plan on attaching some type of Anubias and Java Moss on it.

I just thought about this now... Would the driftwood ever rot in my tank if I would buy it from a store?

So the mopani pieces over in the "reptile" area are fine for aqauriums?? I was looking at them one day and i was quickly persuaded away from them because they arent for fish is what i was told.

I got two pieces of red/yellow spider wood driftwood. Do they release a lot of tannins? How long should I soak them?

Well different types of woods and different pieces leech differently some more some less. Ive had bits stop leeching in afew days and some afew weeks.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser! :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So the mopani pieces over in the "reptile" area are fine for aqauriums?? I was looking at them one day and i was quickly persuaded away from them because they arent for fish is what i was told.

Yep- mopani is mopani, just scrub and pre-soak it and its good to go. I now keep a piece of slate specifically for weighing down new wood.
Store bought wood is unlikely to rot- 'found' wood MAY rot if it isn't solid or if it's a softwood species.

Back
Top Bottom