Favorite plant wilting. Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, I'm fairly new to planted tanks - about 2 months in. My set up:

- 45 g
- flourite substrate with black tahitian moon sand on top
- Semi DIY C02 - citric acid / sodium bicarbonate with regulator & diffuser running at about 1 bps 24/7.
- Fluval Full Spectrum LED Strip, 8 hours per day.
- Fertilizer: Flourish once or twice a week
- Considering adding SeaChem Iron

All the plants are doing well except the alternanthera, which is starting to lose colour and many leaves now look damaged with pinholes in them or tears.*I've pruned many.

I'm not sure what to do to perk it up. I've been having trouble with hair algae, so I've been double dosing Excel each day for about a week and a half... still have the hair algae although reduced.

I'm concerned if I over fertilize I will cause more hair algae. Or maybe I'm not fertilizing enough?!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to save this plant? I love the red colour it adds to the tank and want it to thrive.

I'm attaching a couple photos so you can get an idea of the tank & plant. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415592164932.jpg
    1415592164932.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1415592193568.jpg
    1415592193568.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 75
I've had the same problem before, too. Granted mine was in a low tech, no CO2, low light tank. Truthfully, it just seems to be something it does.

As much as I hate to say it, I would call it a lost cause, and replace in with something else. I've tried it twice, and both times it only lasted 2-3 months max. Starts off beautiful, then slowly fades and falls apart.

Hopefully someone has a better suggestion, or advice, than mine.

If you just like the red hues, I'd go for a Ludwigia, or even Lobelia. Both have red varieties, and I have successfully done both. :)

*Edit
Try iron tabs if nothing else works. Saved my Wisteria from a similar problem, so every time this happens with any of my plants I try it. (did not try on Alternanthea, but I doubt it would hurt)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom