Fert question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyjawn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been searching online for information about what ferts I should be adding to my tank but I am more confused than ever! I've been to greg watson's site, all the related sites that he provides but I still don't know what I'm doing... this is making me feel dumb!

Tank Details - I have a 20G planted tank with DIY CO2 and 3.2 WPG full spectrum lighting. I have some hair algae on my plants and some BGA in a small area at the front of the tank on the substrate. My plants are growing quickly using nothing more than Flourish tabs and Big Al's plant supplement but some of the leaves are turning see through.

PH is 7.5, Ammonia and Nitrite 0. I don't know the nitrate levels yet since my local Big Al's is out of the test kits at the moment.

I've been told the see through leaves are due to Iron deficiency and that I should be dosing KNO3 and NO3. But when i go to greg watson's site, there seems to be so much more...

I'd like to have happy, healthy plants but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Thank you in advance!

you need...

CSM+B
KNO3
KSO4
KH2PO4

here is the dosing schedule i think you should try
Saturday=PWC
Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday =Macro Mix (KNO3, KSO4, KH2PO4)
Monday, Wednesday and Friday =CSM+B mix

I would suggest a TOTAL per week (divided up into 3 doses). these are measurements of the dry fert
KNO3 = 3/4 tsp
KSO4 = 1/2 tsp
KH2PO4 = 1/16 tsp

CSM+B = 1/4 tsp

remember these are weekly totals that should be divided into three does and do not dose macros on same day as CSM+B

Iron deficiency is usually a yellowing of the leaves with the veins staying green. Generally the leaves will only turn transparent with an extreme deficiency. Either Nitrate and/or Phosphate deficiency is much more likely to present with the leaves turning transparent and melting away. Reguardless JDogg has given you a good recommendation on what ferts to purchase.

I just wanted to pipe in and say that Jdogg has given you the right ferts and a good routine for the tank you described.

BGA means low nitrates. The KNO3 will take care of that, but you must manually remove any BGA in the tank (or use a 3 day blackout to kill it). In fact you might just consider doing a blackout once you order the ferts to knock back the existing algae some.

That fert routine is what is known as EI (estimative index) and it also assumes a 50% weekly water change. There are many other methods of dosing and being successful with a planted tank, but this one is easy to follow and until you are more certain of what to do it will help you grow nice algae free plants now.

you need...

CSM+B (2lbs)
KNO3 (2lbs)
KSO4 (2lbs)
KH2PO4 (1lb)

thank you so much!

i've been manually removing the BGA daily and it seems to be working. i'm actually more concerned about the plants. they're growing like weeds but the leaves don't look at healthy as they should.

i will order the ferts today. now i'm excited.

THANKS!

I'm going to bump this thread becuase I have the exact same needs as flyjawn. I just ordered the recommended ferts from gregwatson.com.
Now here's my follow up question. what mehtod do you use to dissolve these dry ferts and introduce them into the tank? Do you use tank water? tap water? How much water?
Mix it for the week or one dose at a time? Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have the same algae, the same tank, DIY CO2, and the same needs.
I feel incredibly stupid when it comes to the ferts sometimes.

Since I have small tanks that would make it very hard to dose dry (very small amounts) I mix stock solutions of each fert using tap water. I use hot water to help the ferts to disolve better and mix in a 250ml bottle. The stock solution last for several weeks.

You can also remove some tank water, mix the ferts in it, and return it to the tank. You could also dose directly into the tank. When dosing directly in the tank, several people have mentioned adding it to the filter to help prevent the fish from thinking it is food and trying to eat it before it disolves.

Keep in mind that the ferts often have some impurities which often do not disolve even in a stock solution.

So basically if I have 2 bottles I can mix all the macros for the week and dissolve them and also mix up a weeks worth of the trace. Then I can dose these solutions in three parts throughout the course of the week. If this is correct then I think I finally cracked the code.
So I could dose 6 days alternating macros and trace 1/3 of the weekly solution each.
Duh I think I finally got it.
Thanks

That is another method that works for many.

I think the biggest problem with dosing ferts, is that there are so many different ways you can do it. There are different methods for how much to dose, what to dose, and even how to dose. Takes awhile to sort through all the information and decide which will work best for you.

flushingfish - thanks for asking that question... i was going to have to do it if you didn't!

:)

Glad to help it seems you and I are on the exact same page right now. I am currently waiting for my gregwatson order so I can get started. I was dosing with Seachem until I got it figured out.

BTW How's your DIY CO2 doing? I just tested my KH and PH and calculated 25ppm of CO2 so I can't complain.

Good questions here.... I can now say I am not the only one with questions for dosing.....

One other question.... How does everybody store the weekly amounts????

Thanks guys for all you do!

flushingfish said:
Glad to help it seems you and I are on the exact same page right now. I am currently waiting for my gregwatson order so I can get started. I was dosing with Seachem until I got it figured out.

BTW How's your DIY CO2 doing? I just tested my KH and PH and calculated 25ppm of CO2 so I can't complain.

my CO2 sucks quite frankly. that or my test kit does. right now after having two CO2 bottles hooked up, i'm still only getting readings of 6.5ppm. i'm not sure what my next move is going to be...

i'm using those CO2 ladders... i just changed the mix last night and there's a lot more bubbles so i'm going to test again and see if there's been an improvement.

If you can run it through your filter or through a powerhead you will get much more CO2 diffused. The ladder is a passive system and could be gassing out as fast as its going in. I had the ladder too and find much better results through my filter.

Back
Top Bottom