fertilizer alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libbyb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is what I have in my 55g other than 22 cardinals, 6 barbs and 1 cory:
2 Amazon sword
4 Kyoto
3 mondo grass
1 dwarf sword
3 hippo grass
2 rosefolia
6 purple waffle
6 cobamba (I think. It doesn't look as delicate)
2 hygros
I am treating with food tabs 0-0-6 and Nutrafin Plant Grow both according to instructions.
My lighting: 1 F32 T8 and 1 40W T8. It also sits in a room with a large window. I have brown algae/diatoms (working on getting some shrimp and nerites. maybe so otos)

Is there a good substitute for the tabs? I've already laid the substrate and didn't mix in any fertilizer to it.

I've had great results from Seachem's root tabs. Head's up on the mondo grass.... it's non-aquatic. I think the waffle may be as well, but I'm not certain. Not sure what kyoto or hippo grass are.

If memory serves, kyoto is a grass-like plant and a non aquatic. If so, it won't survive long under water. I suspect that the hippo grass is also likely to be a non aquatic.

The diatoms should go away on their own in a few weeks, once the silicates that they are feeding on have been consumed. Please describe the brown algae as the type will help determine which nutrient is too low.

It seems that it is concentrated where the light is. i.e. the front as it faces the large window. It covers the leaves, gravel, rocks, everything. I took 1 rock out and scrubbed it clean and found green algae underneath the brown. I figured that's a good sign for when I get my inverts and otos. (I re-homed my plecos) It doesn't pots on the glass like green algae gets but rather kind of smeary. Make sense? It cleans easily off the glass but I can't wipe it off the plants. I'm afraid my plants won't get the light they need because of it.
I'll try to get my kids to show me how to post pix. (actually it's my daughter's computer I have to get the pix on and the space is limited as it is)

Is the algae slimy and smell bad? or is it more short and bushy?

It's not really slimy but it doesn't smell great. It's not bushy but I understand that it can get long.
I could tell that my tank was almost cycled by the way it smelled! Is that crazy?

I think some pictures would definitely be helpful as I'm still not sure what kind of algae that you are dealing with yet.

Back
Top Bottom