Fertilizer dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be starting the PPS-Pro method in my Med-High light / CO2 injected tank in the next week or so, but for now I am dosing Flourish Comprehensive, Iron and Potassium (as well as Flourish Root tabs). I will continue using the Flourish products on my low-light / liquid carbon tanks.

Id like to make sure that Im not over-fertilizing and avoid algae taking over (as it has in another tank). Besides Nitrate and Phosphate, is there anything else I should be testing for?
Also, what should I be aiming for? I believe Ive read that Nitrates should be between 20 - 60ppm, but I dont think Ive read anything about Phosphate levels. The API test kit states that the ideal level is 0ppm, but Im not sure if this applies to planted tanks.

Lastly, the instructions on the Flourish Iron and Potassium bottles seem to suggest "using as needed". Are there any negative consequences to dosing too much Iron and/or Potassium? Damaging to plants or promotion of algae? Currently I have been dosing the instructed amounts every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday.

Ultimately, Im just hoping to be able to avoid an algae problem (as well as grow healthy plants), or at the very least be able to react quickly if/when I have one. My first attempt at a planted tank has resulted in a lot of BBA and dead/dying plants. I didnt know anything about substrate, lighting, carbon, fertilizing or even that different plants would have different requirements when I first put plants in, so this isnt too surprising. Hoping to do better this time around and it occurred to me that I may be at risk for repeating mistakes.

It's usually suggested that nitrates be between 10-20 ppm and phosphate be between .5-2.0 ppm, although I think it's better to keep phosphates around 5.0 ppm. If you research different kinds of algae in planted tanks and what is usually associated with causing them, most of the time it's contributed to low nutrient levels, low or inconsistent co2, and too much light or too long of a photoperiod. IMO, overdosing just a little shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're consistent.

Back
Top Bottom