Fertilizer To Create Rich Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm researching plant care and some plants require a rich substrate. Since my substrate is sand and is not rich, what fertilizers will make my substrate rich with nutrients?

root tabs... though you're really only going to see benefits with root feeders like swords and some crypts. What plants in particular do you have?

Just planted baby tears. I want it to grow as fast as possible before it gets uprooted by my kuhli's. I have 78 watts t5ho with API co2 booster in a 40 gallon.

Liquid co2 is my only option. A lot of people are telling I need pressurized but its not feasible right now.

So hoping by creating a rich substrate it will speed things up.

Yeah, it'll be a struggle to keep BBA off the HM without co2 IME. Been there, done that. HM grows like crazy once it gets settled in. I was growing some in low/medium light and it took over the tank... got about 4" thick across the whole tank bottom. I had some in my 40b with 2x39w T5HO and had to spot treat BBA with H2O2 almost daily.

Root tabs aren't going to do much, if anything, for HM. You would be best off purchasing some dry ferts, or even paying for water and buying a pre-mix like Flourish Comp.

I'm dozing flourish comp twice a week. Do I still need dry ferts? If I do can you recommend a brand and where to purchase online? Thanks.

If you're already dosing flourish comp, and you aren't seeing any deficiencies, I wouldn't worry with dry ferts at the moment. They are much more cost efficient, since you can get a pound of each required nutrient for about $30 and that will last you years... with flourish, you're paying for water. Definitely something to look in to as you start to run low. I got mine at aquariumfertilizer.com, but i know of at least two other sites that sell them as well (Planted Aquarium Products | CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums and www.bobstropicalplants.com).

For now, I'd just keep an eye on your HM. If you start seeing black hairy algae, it might be time to up the gluteraldahyde dosing a bit, or spot treat the area with a syringe full of h2o2 or gluteraldahyde. I think that's what you'll struggle with the most. That was always my problem.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick help.

I'll look into dry ferts just in case I need it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom