Ferts and General Hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSugarBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me which of these ferts will increase the GH of the water in my tank?

KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
Plantex CSM+B

I was hoping to keep discus in my tank and now I'm concerned about the hardness creating an inhospitable environment for them.

Thank you.

Plantex CSM+B may contain some calcium or magnesium salts that could slightly increase your GH, but nothing significant. To increase your GH you need to add something like calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, or magnesium sulfate. You can also buy pre-mixed GH buffers like Seachem's Equilibrium or Kent's R/O Right. These products are designed add some general hardness to reverse osmosis water and would work well for increasing GH in any type of water.

You should have no worries with those ferts. However, I would test the water params a few times after you add them just to be sure. If everything is stable, go for it. You should look out for increases in kh as well.

TheSugarBear said:
I was hoping to keep discus in my tank and now I'm concerned about the hardness creating an inhospitable environment for them.

I always tell the customers that are a bit overly concerned, that stable water conditions are better than exact. The city water around here has a pH of about 7.4, GH of 15-18, KH of 0-1. I know people that use plain tap water and their discus are just fine, even to the point of spawning and producing young.

That said, your ferts shouldn't alter your hardness levels.

Back
Top Bottom