ferts and postassium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a new bottle of ferts. I was using just simple tetra florapride.
I decided to try something new and go with flourish comprehensive. I notice though this doesnt have potassium in it like the tetra though.
It has way more nutrients but not PO.

Would it be worth getting the flourish potassium or will fish waste create enough (ive read its not a lot).

Does anyone use DIY co2 and just comprehensive fine enough? Is there another way to get potassium into the tank?

I have started using a wonder shell (and plan to use another when this one is done) and it also says it puts potassium into the tank.

thanks

95775-albums14286-picture68337.jpg

I used premade liquid ferts for 2years. I recently discovered the ei-dosing method. I'm never going back to buying those bottles. Ei is so much more effective in my tanks and way cheaper :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I used premade liquid ferts for 2years. I recently discovered the ei-dosing method. I'm never going back to buying those bottles. Ei is so much more effective in my tanks and way cheaper :)

is that basically superdosing?

I just bought a new bottle of ferts. I was using just simple tetra florapride.
I decided to try something new and go with flourish comprehensive. I notice though this doesnt have potassium in it like the tetra though.
It has way more nutrients but not PO.

Would it be worth getting the flourish potassium or will fish waste create enough (ive read its not a lot).

Does anyone use DIY co2 and just comprehensive fine enough? Is there another way to get potassium into the tank?

I have started using a wonder shell (and plan to use another when this one is done) and it also says it puts potassium into the tank.

thanks

95775-albums14286-picture68337.jpg
Po is phosphorus! Potassium is K. Go and buy some K2So4 if you want good potassium levels for your plants. Food,fish waste can supply a little phosphorus for plants but not much.

Fish?are?friends?not?food

The EI-method is a dosing regime which gives your plants plenty of nutrients. They'll always have more than enough to flourish. To give you an idea.
Day 1: 50% PWC + macro
Day 2: micro
Day 3: macro
Day 4: micro
Day 5: macro
Day 6/7: rest, no dosing

Not to much for your fish tho? Also are you running co2? I'm only running a diy co setup so high dosing certs seems like algae haven

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope, definitely not enough to even cause the slightest discomfort for fish. And no, I don't use co2, not even DIY. I just use glut, i have no algae problem whatsoever ;)

Nope, definitely not enough to even cause the slightest discomfort for fish. And no, I don't use co2, not even DIY. I just use glut, i have no algae problem whatsoever ;)

Glut, like excel? Excel also prevents algae so you would not have algae in the first place.

Fish?are?friends?not?food

Yes liquid carbon products like excel, easycarbo ;)

Sam have you checked nitrate in a while. Just curious where it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually never do tests as I keep my aquariums understocked, heavily planted and follow the schematic on point :)
I'm quite short on money as a student, so weekly water changes are my cheapest friend!

I actually never do tests as I keep my aquariums understocked, heavily planted and follow the schematic on point :)
I'm quite short on money as a student, so weekly water changes are my cheapest friend!

Hmm ok well a friendly word of warning. I use the same method and dry ferts as you and when I checked my nitrates after a few weeks they were off the chart.

Bare in mind I didn't follow the instructions exactly but if you don't know where you're at I works at lest purchase the single api nitrate kit and run a test. Assuming you are dosing nitrate.

I used the calculator on thenutrientcompany.com
What is your dosing regime C? Do you take two days off to let the tank settle again? Always do a 50% PWC?

I used the calculator on thenutrientcompany.com
What is your dosing regime C? Do you take two days off to let the tank settle again? Always do a 50% PWC?

No I didn't. I'm definitely interested in your regime and mixing quantities though. Still I would definitely prefer to see your nitrate reading though.

I completely understand! But did you see any changes in behaviour of your fish? Deaths? This tank is running for 3months now. It's a 5g stocked with a halfmoon betta and 3 pygmy cories. No deaths so far.

I've also been using it for 3months in my 30g. Only thing that has died is my apple snail (got eaten by assasin snails lol). And this tank is quite stocked.

For a 500ml bottle I do:
Macro: 15g KNO3, 6g KH2Po4, 37g MgSO4.
Micro: 4g CSM+B.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424616894.033583.jpg I have echinodorus runners all over the place.

Yes very obvious behavioral issues. Hmm those mixes will be based on tank size won't they?

Nope mixtures are based on the dosing bottle. In my 5g i dose 10ml of macro/micro. Whereas I dose 60ml in my 30g.

Well throw this thread out the window and banish its family from town. Comprehensive HAS potassium in it.
Its just not called potassium, its under the K blah blah name.
Alls good. I just tried some flourish root tabs. They seem nicer than the trash API ones.
I went back to under dosing those tho.
I hope this all gets my growth back up. Since my recent prune a couple of my poor guys lost their spots and seem really confused and stressed. I had a small nitrate spike from 0-5 to like 10 but that seems to be normally out as well.

I dont monitor things like GH and k so I prefer to keep my doses moderate. I'm not HEAVILY planted but well enough and they all seem to be okay. Not booming tho.
Wish my java fern would spike.
It is constantly blooming new buds off their leaves but never grows bigger. Does the light rule apply to this plant where low light they grow tall and high light they stay low and bloom out?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope mixtures are based on the dosing bottle. In my 5g i dose 10ml of macro/micro. Whereas I dose 60ml in my 30g.

Of course...I'm gonna get mixing again.

Back
Top Bottom