Few months into PPS Pro, cyano and melting cabomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
History:
46 gal tank, heavily planted
Injected CO2 with pH regulator
Medium bioload
50%+ weekly water changes

A few months ago, I switched from EI(or something similar) to PPS Pro. To be more accurate, EI meant I forgot to dose most days. Plants survived, but didn't flourish. Since I'm bad at remembering, I dose PPS Pro with two aqualifters on timers. Anyway, plants got greener, but now I'm getting cyano everywhere. It's not a major problem yet, but definitely getting worrisome. Also, my cabomba grew well for a while, then the bottom of the stems started melting, and the tops are getting cyano. I haven't had algae problems after starting CO2 over a year ago, until now.

Checked nitrates midweek with salifert kit, 5ppm. Also have a phosphate test, but haven't checked yet.

Any idea what's going on?

--Adeeb

I've been told letting nitrates fall below 10ppm is asking for cyno problems. You might have to increase your daily dosing depending on what your tank readings are. As for the cyno you need to dose a round of Maracyn or Erythromycin antibiotic since it is a bacteria not algae. Don't know why your Cabomba is melting but wouldn't be surprized if it isn't due to a nutrient deficiency. I've had to adjust my PPS-Pro amounts a couple times over the past year and I don't have CO2.

How much light do you have?

Also, the cabomba melting might be experiencing a deficiency, but sometimes cabomba just sheds. I'm not sure why, but it's pretty well known as a messy plant because of it. I ended up tearing it out of my tank because it drove me crazy.

Haha forgot to mention lights. 2x39W T5HO. The cabomba grew almost a foot in a month then started melting.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom