Fighting BGA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok my 10 gallon Dwarf Puffer tank is making me insane...

NO3 = 30 ppm
PO4 = 2-3 ppm
Ammonia/Nitrite = 0

that tank is planted with mostly Sunset Hygro, along with a few stems of Stargrass and Primrose, 2 small Aponogeton undulatus, 1 small java fern and 1 small tiger lotus.

i have tried 3 day blackouts (i do not want to try any longer then that as the DP have such high metabolisms and come out of the 3 day blackout all emaciated as it is)

circulation is good and i do feed frozen bloodworms (that is all i can get them to eat :?) but i do try to drain off most of the liquid part to keep DO down.

thoughts?

Perhaps the problem is a result of poor flow in the areas where the BGA is showing up? If this is a possibility you could try adjusting your filter return or adding a small powerhead to get better flow.

Purrbox said:
Perhaps the problem is a result of poor flow in the areas where the BGA is showing up? If this is a possibility you could try adjusting your filter return or adding a small powerhead to get better flow.
it grow over the whole tank, if it was just one corner i would believe that, but if grows even directly in the outflow from the HOB. i will try to post a picture tonight.

Sounds like you've tried everything short of medication to treat the tank. I'd say that unless you're willing to try a longer blackout, it's probably time to try medication. For the longer blackout you could try adding a bunch of snails to the tank to provide extra food, or moving the DPs to another tank temporarily.

Purrbox said:
Sounds like you've tried everything short of medication to treat the tank. I'd say that unless you're willing to try a longer blackout, it's probably time to try medication. For the longer blackout you could try adding a bunch of snails to the tank to provide extra food, or moving the DPs to another tank temporarily.
i assume any medication would be an anti-biotic since BGA is a bacteria.
1. what med whould you suggest?
2. what precausion should i take for my filter bacteria?

here are the pictures i promised, aquascape sucks, but last blackout kill a lot of my plants off. :?

I'm having a problem getting to Steve Hampton's site right now, or I'd provide you with a direct link. Go to google and search for "aquaria steve hampton" and you should get a link to his site. Click on the link for BGA and it has instructions on the various means of treatment including medication.

Back
Top Bottom