Film on the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again, over the past week or so I've noticed a film of something on my water surface ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399494522.104801.jpg Now I've read it's from lack of water agitation. When I point the outlet pipe from the internal filter up at the water surface the film clears after a while but it makes my tank look like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399496534.118826.jpg lots of tiny air bubbles floating around in the tank which makes the water look dirty and bitty.

Here's the nice clear tank with the outlet pipe in its normal position ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399496868.495868.jpg

Here's the tank with surface agitation, lots of tiny air bubbles making it look bitty ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399496955.184153.jpg

I'm not sure what to do for the best, does anybody have any suggestion how I can sort this slightly annoying problem out?

Don't point it so high it blows out of the water just enough to cause a bit of surface movement

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Air bubbles are fine, it means your water is getting it's exchange on! Unless you don't like the look?

I have a small powerhead up high in the tank. Its set on a timer whilst im out of the house. During the day it comes on and keeps the surface water moving. Then when i get in its off and tank is clear

I have a small powerhead up high in the tank. Its set on a timer whilst im out of the house. During the day it comes on and keeps the surface water moving. Then when i get in its off and tank is clear

Great idea, thanks

When you get a film over the surface of the water it's called a protein layer. The reason it forms is because there isn't enough surface agitation to keep it broken up so it doesn't form. The bubbles are sticking to it and not actually causing the problem. You need to have something to break up the water at the tank surface. With HOB filters you can just lower the water level a bit so the water cascades into the tank. You can add a small nano powerhead aimed at the surface which works well. I have all my canister filters very close to the surface on my tanks to keep the water surface moving. Having a protein layer on the surface actually hinders proper gas exchange.

When you get a film over the surface of the water it's called a protein layer. The reason it forms is because there isn't enough surface agitation to keep it broken up so it doesn't form. The bubbles are sticking to it and not actually causing the problem. You need to have something to break up the water at the tank surface. With HOB filters you can just lower the water level a bit so the water cascades into the tank. You can add a small nano powerhead aimed at the surface which works well. I have all my canister filters very close to the surface on my tanks to keep the water surface moving. Having a protein layer on the surface actually hinders proper gas exchange.

Thanks Rivercats, I've made a few adjustments to the outlet pipe so it's moving the surface a lot more so hopefully no more protein layer ?

Back
Top Bottom