Filter advice for new planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xspel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently picked up a 100 gal (60.5x18.5x20). I would really like to make this into a medium planted with my only requirement a nice lush carpet bottom. This is my first dab in a serious planted so this may just be a pipe dream but I'm gonna give it a shot anyways. My first hardware item will be the filter. Will 2 Rena xp3s be ok for this? I'd like to have 2 canisters in case or breakage or maintenance. I'm sure I will have a million questions down the road so j just wanted to start with this 1. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1823809546.jpg
    image-1823809546.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 69
I would definitely go with a canister, whether it's a Rena or fluval is up to you

2 XP3's would be fine. I ran an XP3, fluval 405 and 305 on my 125.. the XP3 had a lot more flow than the 405. Since you're running two, an inline heater on one, and an inline co2 reactor on the other would work great. And yeah, you're going to need some good lighting for carpeting plants

for what your talking about you should start loooking into CO2 and some strong lights

2 XP3's would be fine. I ran an XP3, fluval 405 and 305 on my 125.. the XP3 had a lot more flow than the 405. Since you're running two, an inline heater on one, and an inline co2 reactor on the other would work great. And yeah, you're going to need some good lighting for carpeting plants

I figured I would need c02 and good lighting. Thx for confirming this. I've been looking at fishneedit.com for lights. They seem to be pretty economical. Not sure if anyone has purchased or had bad experiences from them

As far as implementing co2 and heat for that matter, I've been reading that the xps can lose some of their output flow by going with the inline stuff. Is there a benefit to use them over a couple of normal submersible heaters (like 2aqueon pro 200s or 250s. I use a aqueon pro 100 in my 29 gal and im a big fan of the indicator light) besides de-cluttering?

I have the Fluval G6 and Emperor 400 hob on my 90gal. I love the G6

What about a Fluval FX5

I'd like to have 2 canisters and can't justify 2 fx5s. I think that gph output would be over kill although that isn't always a bad thing. I just don't want my plants to look and grow at a 45 degree angle :lol:

I figured I would need c02 and good lighting. Thx for confirming this. I've been looking at fishneedit.com for lights. They seem to be pretty economical. Not sure if anyone has purchased or had bad experiences from them

As far as implementing co2 and heat for that matter, I've been reading that the xps can lose some of their output flow by going with the inline stuff. Is there a benefit to use them over a couple of normal submersible heaters (like 2aqueon pro 200s or 250s. I use a aqueon pro 100 in my 29 gal and im a big fan of the indicator light) besides de-cluttering?
I have 5 fishneedit fixtures... can't say one bad thing about them. I also have 2 Current Nova Extremes that are considerably higher in price (got em used) that I am comparing them to. They do have pro's and cons. The FNI fixtures don't have a switch on the fixture, it's on the ballast... that's the nice thing about the Current fixtures. The upside is that they have remote ballasts, which means a lighter, more streamlined fixture on top, and the ballast can be mounted (or just sitting) behind the tank out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom