filter for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew187

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to get a new filter for my 55g planted tank. The one I have on there now is old and loud. Right now there are just zebra dianos in there but I will be getting angel fish soon. I am looking at either an aquaclear 110 or a canister filter. What would be better for my tank? Also should I run a powerhead or will the filter be enough movement in the water. I don't want it to be to much for the angels.

DragonFish71 said:
I prefer canister filters and I only use Fluval.

I've heard others having good things to say about Rena and Ehiem.

I prefer to have higher current in my tanks, so I use powerheads fitted with a quick filter.
Powerhead Quick Filter

I agree

I bought a fluval 305 today and also purchased zeo-carb, water polshing pad and pre-filter. Should I let my old filter run while this one is running at first?

Matthew187 said:
I bought a fluval 305 today and also purchased zeo-carb, water polshing pad and pre-filter. Should I let my old filter run while this one is running at first?

Yes, run both as long as possible. I would still run both, I do so I can get seeded media without cracking open the canister. But if you must remove I would wait 45-60 days to ensure a good bacteria exchange. I also run only fluval, you should also look into a spray bar.

A couple things, if you put your heater near your intake it will spread heated water more evenly. Also if you put it near the top, it will provide surface agitation for oxygen. Also provide even cirrculation, the out put nozzle that comes with a cannister is usually very over powered. I would get a spray bar or monitor the output and use the shut off valve so your fish don't have to fight the current 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom