Filter for Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided to convert my 10g into a plant-only tank. I removed my neon tetras from the tank and now I am wondering what to do in regards to my filter.

Now I only have RCS, snails (MTS, ramshorm, pond and others) and a lot of java moss along with a variety of plants. Some anubias and some java fern taken from my main tank.

But I really want to switch out my current filter, a penguin 150. It has been in use for less than 4 months and it is already starting to rattle. And it's been a nuisance with the noise when I sleep. I always hear that "there is never too much filtration", but what is the case with a shrimp tank?

What kind of filter would I get that be sufficient, cheap and quiet?

I currently have play sand in the tank, but I intend to switch it out to blue gravel or pfs because play sand is just too troublesome.

How is the sand troublesome ?

I'd recommend an Aquaclear 20 with foam over the intake. Always turn off your filter when you are working in the tank.

I like black sand. Tahitian Moon Sand or I use blasting sand capped with TMS.

Coursair said:
How is the sand troublesome ?

I'd recommend an Aquaclear 20 with foam over the intake. Always turn off your filter when you are working in the tank.

I like black sand. Tahitian Moon Sand or I use blasting sand capped with TMS.

Play sand is really light making it easily stirred around and it takes a while to settled. But I might go with tms since it seems financially supportable. And I think I might go with the aquaclear 20.

Cornstar said:
Play sand is really light making it easily stirred around and it takes a while to settled. But I might go with tms since it seems financially supportable. And I think I might go with the aquaclear 20.

I use a fluval prefilter (black) over my intake. I currently run a black Aqueon Quietflow so its almost invisible. ACs are better, you can adjust flow and room to add things to filter as needed.

Coursair said:
I use a fluval prefilter (black) over my intake. I currently run a black Aqueon Quietflow so its almost invisible. ACs are better, you can adjust flow and room to add things to filter as needed.

I currently have a fluval pre-filter for my ac110. Would that be ok on a ac20?

Also what is the purpose of a root tab?

To feed the roots of the plants. If you only have Ferns and Moss then you can just add Flourish Comprehensive 1x weekly after PWC.

And yes, foam should work on both.

Okies, I just ordered 20lbs of TMS and an aquaclear 20 from Drs Fosters and Smith. I guess it should be this weekend or next week where I'll set this up. I'll post pictures of before and after :)

Also, I am slowly vaccing out the play sand from my 10g tank. Hopefully I do not suck up a baby red cherry shrimp :(

StarskreamX82 said:
Is it possible to use regular potting soil if you don't intend on having any fish or other animals in there?

You can use Organic Potting Soil and cap it with sand. It will grow plants and be safe for fish and Shrimp. Google Walstad Method.

Back
Top Bottom