Filter in a freshwater planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I was reading a few posted articles on the forum that suggested/ stated that in a planted tank a filter system is not needed because the plants acts as a natural filter system, what's your views in this, is it true? Wouldn't not having a filtration system make my tanks appear dirty/foggy?
Also, what about carbon in my filter, in a planted tank, good or bad?

Hey guys,
I was reading a few posted articles on the forum that suggested/ stated that in a planted tank a filter system is not needed because the plants acts as a natural filter system, what's your views in this, is it true? Wouldn't not having a filtration system make my tanks appear dirty/foggy?

From everything I'm told and have read, carbon will not make a difference for running ferts and liquid carbon, it's more for complex molecules like organics and meds. However still learning! I gave up on carbon in the end - the cost was too much.

It's possible to run a Walstad tank without filtration if you follow proper procedure BUT using a filter is far better IMO due to the biological, mechanical, and chemical filtration it provides.

There are arguments on both sides of the fence as to whether carbon is good or not in planted tanks. Personally I have been using it in planted tanks since the 80's without it affecting plants. Purgen is often the chemical filtration of choice in planted tanks.

Tank Filtration

Hey guys,

Hello Kal...

Plants, especially those that float will filter the tank water. If you're were willing to change large amounts of tank water and change it often, you wouldn't need a filter system. You can add certain land plants like Chinese Evergreen that will filter the tank water. So, if you combined all these, you wouldn't need a mechanical water filter.

As for chemical medium (carbon), it isn't needed. Large, frequent water changes is all you really need.

B

There is a difference between plants using nutrients from the water and using a filter with media to filter water. Filter media can remove a lot of detritus from the water column that plants can't do along with providing water flow within the tank. Chemical filtration can be used for many reasons including removing medicines, smells, color such as tannins, phenols, and such which plants can't do. Purgen can remove organics. Carbon and Purgen can polish water to a point fish appear to be swimming in air. Plants have their purpose in aquariums but they simply cannot preform the same as filters. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying you need to use chemical filtration in a planted tank as many don't but having the option to do so within a filter is very helpful.

And yes, while WC's are essential to keeping toxins and nutrient levels low they often are not enough unless you keep a plant only tank or have a low bio-load. Filter pro's far outweigh using them.

Not using any chemical filtration in my planted 55 and water is IMO super clear, bio-media, foam and floss only in the canister on that tank. Running perfectly for now.

I don't plan on using carbon in the 125 either unless to remove medicine in case it gets used at some point.

Back
Top Bottom