Filter sucking up fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinnerflexor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Fluval Edge 6 gal. planted, cycled, and driftwood. I put 6 galaxy rasboras and they started disappearing. Staring at the tank for a good while of time I saw one get sucked up into the filter system. I took it apart and sure enough 3 alive still and 1 dead. I now have five and have been covering it with gauze which I change weekly however this is clogging up the intake and decreasing the flow. What can I use that will help with debris but not hurt my fish? I looked at sponge filter but they looked too big with all the plants.
(I have several dwarf crypts, small sword, small annubias, big driftwood for that size tank and a rock to hold it down)

not sure if pic helps

Attachments

• fluval 6.jpg
    fluval 6.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Fluval makes a pre filter sponge for that exact tank. It's 3$or so at Petsmart/Petco. However, if you want something nice, on the Planted Tank forum they sell Stainless Steel ones that are great and make them to the size of your intake.

I have both a 6g and 12g Fluval Edge tank and use the filter sponge cover on both. They don't look bad at all and also help by filtering out all large detris which helps keep the tiny filter cleaner. Just rinse the sponge off well every week while doing your WC.

Back
Top Bottom