Filtration????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TidBitz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I love my API NEXX , (not very old) but don't like the intake. It's next to none when it comes to pulling in trash (even specks float right by) and I have done everything to change it. I did some research and the submersible pump is only worth 19.00 brand new. So I want to buy a different one. Can some of you please give me your opinions on which to get without breaking the bank. (Yes I cleaned the old one and checked for clogs as well as checked filters).

What size tank its it? What is that filter rated for? You need up to 3x the size of your tank.

you can NEVER have too much filtration!!! 3x is the minimum required... and that is heavily dependent on how stocked you are... i have had tanks that had over 10x

Another pump won't solve your current filtration issues. It will only move the unfiltered detritus around more.

I agree with what's been previously stated regarding unanswered questions. Without knowing what size tank you have and what your requirements are, it's impossible to suggest options.

I was gonna purchase a api nexx also but didn't like the idea of a canister type having the pump on display inside the tank. Im not very familiar with the intake pump on that model. Is there any way to substitute a powerhead? If so wouldn't the improved flow from a substantial powerhead help the units ability to filter better?

The tank is a 55g with a 55g filtration, I rinse the filter every other week and replace every month in a half vs the two month as it states to do. The nexx (self priming) does have extensions and I do want to get another. And if I remember correctly when done it ads another 75 gallons to filtration. May be wrong but close. I looked the pump up (217gph) and it is not the correct gph for the filter so I ordered another (475gph) . If the pump is not pulling wouldn't that cause a filtration problem or am I wrong? I am under population in tank.

Yes you most definitely need more but if its not pulling enough water you do have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom