Finally made the ultimate purchase....ECO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, I finally did it. I just purchased 10 bags of the ridiculously priced Eco-Complete from the good Dr's.

I figure that should be enough for both of my tanks (one 75 gallon and one 28 gallon). If not, I will just have to mix in some other type of black substrate.

What a chore I have ahead of me!!!

The PFS has treated me well, but it is just time to futher my planted tank with something more appropriate for my plants.

i have a 70-30 mix (70% eco and 30% small gravel) in my 75 gallon and i have all eco in one of my ten gallons, i am very happy with the results.

good luck with that, substrate change overs are a pain, but well worth it in the end IMO

Awesome - It was about a 10 hour process for me, and I can't really see doing it any faster. If you know exactly where you want to put everything back in I guess you could save a little time, but IMO that is the fun part.

I am looking forward to some new pictures!

You'll love the Eco.....I swear one of these days I'm going to move one of my rocks and discover that they have grown roots, too!

rkilling1 said:
Yes, I finally did it. I just purchased 10 bags of the ridiculously priced Eco-Complete from the good Dr's.

I figure that should be enough for both of my tanks (one 75 gallon and one 28 gallon). If not, I will just have to mix in some other type of black substrate.

What a chore I have ahead of me!!!

The PFS has treated me well, but it is just time to futher my planted tank with something more appropriate for my plants.

My 75G took 8 bags. So you'll have 2 bags left for the 29G.

FWIW, I found the easiest way for me to replace substrate was to remove all the plants and fish to a holding container, drain out as much water as I could, take out the old substrate (i left a thin layer on the bottom to seed the new, but with eco, i hear it is pre-seeded), then put the new substrate in. Fill tank, with a plate under the hose, and add fish and plants back.

Yeah...I tried adding Eco to a half full tank. It did not go well, the water was clouded for nearly 2 days before I decided to drain all the water out and refill. I definatly recommend taking as much water out as you can, adding the Eco and then refilling. This is probably common sense...but I thought I could take a shortcut.

Lonewolfblue said:
My 75G took 8 bags. So you'll have 2 bags left for the 28G.

I ordered 10 bags after I reread your 75 gal thread (thanks for that). You said it took 8, but 7 would have been enough.

I figure 7 1/2 bags for the 75 gallon and 2 1/2 bags for the 28. That puts me at 2 lb's per gallon. I believe that will be fine.

The Eco came in a couple of days ago. Now all I have to do is read through Bill's makeover thread and find the time to do it. I am working 75 hours a week rightnow to refuel a commercial reactor. So time is something that I don't have.

Let alone my wife and kids left for vacation in FL for 2 week and TOOK MY CAMERA!!!

EDIT:

Now here is my main concern, what foreground plant or plants should I put in the 75?

I have:

Blyxa japonica (mid to front)
Elatine triandra
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Marsilea quadrafolia
Pogostemon helferi
Ranunculus papulentus
Riccia fluitans

They are all great looking plants and each have a defined shape that I really like.

I remember the first months of this planted job and I never had a foreground, so I kinda over did it with them and now I can't decide on what to keep or throwout!

I'd probably go with the Hemianthus Callitrichoides for most of the forground. Then include some patches of Ranunculus papulentus, Potostemon helferi, and Blyxa japonica to blend into the midground.

I agree w/ Purrbox. Clover would also be nice (that's what I use). Then use the Hydrocotyle verticillata or Ranunculus papulentus as a border to the midground (two plants I also really like). You can use Blyxa behind that.

Riccia and Glosso are high maintenance, IME, but all of those other plants could make nice variations throughout your tank.

rkilling1 said:
Lonewolfblue said:
Now here is my main concern, what foreground plant or plants should I put in the 75?

I have:

Blyxa japonica (mid to front)
Elatine triandra
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Marsilea quadrafolia
Pogostemon helferi
Ranunculus papulentus
Riccia fluitans

They are all great looking plants and each have a defined shape that I really like.

I remember the first months of this planted job and I never had a foreground, so I kinda over did it with them and now I can't decide on what to keep or throwout!

I have been trying to grow a decent foreground with elatine triandra and I'm giving up on it. The stuff just floats away to much to be useful IMHO. Looks great while it's there though :lol: .

While it might be taller than normal foregrounds, I think a B. Japonica + open foreground would be pimp, especially if you keep B. japonica more orange than green. Something different.

I love your tank and plants :)

Congrats on making the switch. As most know, I recently re-did the substrate in my 75g and it was enlightening (not to mention painful). If you do it quickly and carefully, you shouldn't run into any issues.

*I agree with the B. japonica, especially with the open areas...looks like a grassy knoll. :)

Peyton said:
I have been trying to grow a decent foreground with elatine triandra and I'm giving up on it. The stuff just floats away to much to be useful IMHO. Looks great while it's there though :lol: .

I guess you shouldn't have sent it to me then. :lol:

czcz said:
I love your tank and plants :)

Thanks. It' nice to see around again Joe. (PS, I have quite a few Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form' plants now. Maybe I could try and send some more?)

JC, I will be reading through your makeover before I go through with this.

Randy, yeah :) I've got a 40gal in the works. I will be hitting up AA for plants soon. Thanks!

I finally had some time to do it. I also ran out of CO2 last week! :cry: :cry:

I didn't have time to get it filled for about 5 days. It's always something isn't it? :roll:

I have planted some HC, but I don't have that much, so I had to fill in the foreground with some Glosso in the mean time.

It took 4 hours to complete and I didn't rescape the tank because I didn't have the time.

Awesome for you. I'm wanting to do it myself. I'm curious if you have to de-chlorinate the water before you add it back to the tank or if you can just fill the tank then dechlorinate all at once?

Back
Top Bottom