Finding healthy plants at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to start my first planted tank in the next month (55g low light for now, I'll upgrade later if its for me) and have been researching the local stores. I've been to 3 or 4 different shops and not only are none of the plants labeled, they all seem to be browning and full of holes to boot.

Is this normal or just a crazy coincidence? Any advice on how to tell which plants can be nursed to health and which are lost causes? Also, I live in the Pittsburgh area. If any locals could name drop some of their favorite stores I promise to give them some business!

Large chain pet stores rarely have good plants, and you'll find that many sell plants for your tank that are actually non-aquatic. if you have small, non-chain LFS near you, they might work out. Otherwise, forums like this one and others are a great place to get plants, usually for very small fees and the price of 3-day shipping. Post in the classifieds section what you're looking for, and that wil likely be your best bet to getting good, quality plants to start your endeavor with.

Look for the next package fort384 has. Looks like he has some good deals on plants. One thing I find at the LFS is the same thing all the time and it isn't worth the drive to get plants.

I have notices quite a few cross sellers in APC AC and TPT.

When you are ready let me know. I will get you fixed up with some plants that are right for your setup.

Thanks Fort! This will save a lot of drama with me trying to compare internet pictures with whatever the LFS's are trying to sell me.

Back
Top Bottom