Finding That Perfect Piece of Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently designing my tank in my head as i wait for my light fixture to arrive which should be with me sometime next week.

I have some parts of the tank already designed in my head and one bit in particular surves two purposes. I am after quite a big piece of branchy wood that should be about half as tall as the tank, i plan to make that the focal point but also as a spot for 2 bamboo shrimp to sit. I would position the powerhead so it is directly in-line with the flow so the shrimp can do their 'fanning' I am trying to think of ways in which the shrimp will be able to have access to the flow and the wood idea was thought of before the shrimp but i'm hoping that i can get two birds with one stone.

I was wandering how bamboo's cope with no access to the flow?
I have seen no pieces of wood like the one i imagine and i probably won't be able to get it so how will the bamboo's cope?

I don't know if they will be able to sit on plants but there should be some that are in-line with the flow at least.

I could put several pieces of wood together but this is always harder and there are at least 30 odd pieces of wood to select from, all of medium size. Also there are no thin branchy pieces so i might have to build a stack of wood and make do with it. I plan to grow some Riccia or other ground cover plant on it which should add to the natural look. Also i think i would need at least 5 pieces of wood which will cost!

TIA

I know that FloridaDriftwood lets you select specific pieces of driftwood which are pictured on their site. While I don't recommend them for plants since I've read too many bad customer reviews, I've seen much better reviews when it comes to their dry goods. There's also a place out there that sells Manzilla (sp?) wood that's supposed to be really good and very branchy. You might be able to to find exactly what you're looking for there.

Florida Driftwood ship Internationally! I didn't think they would.
I've seen a couple of bits that might work but there probably going to be a bit too big. I think my best bet would be to group some medium sized bits together from my LFS, i have to make do with what's available to me. Also it's more of a challenge.

I think i'm going to my LFS tonight so i'll have a look at their wood and if there's none that would work maybe i'll see if they can order some branchy bits in! :)

The wood purrbox mentioned is manzanita; it always comes as a branch, and I think it looks great with some moss on it. Lotsa shops carry it as bird perches, but you'd need to be sure they were OK for aquaria.

It look's good, but i don't like the idea of buying online. I'd prefer to see it before buying, i'll have a look around at some UK sites abd may inquire at my LFS.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom