Finnex ray 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are people's thoughts on a 48" finnex ray 2 on a 75 gallon media planted soon to be heavy planted. I have CO2 and pps pro. I'm just looking for an upgrade from t5ho.

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a great light but a little outdated. The newer Finnex 24/7 has maybe a bit less par but is full spectrum, making it overall better for plant growth. I'd try to snag a 24/7 if you could, or if you're ok spending a bit more there are other great LEDs out there (BML, ecoxotic, current satellite plus pro).

It's a great light but a little outdated. The newer Finnex 24/7 has maybe a bit less par but is full spectrum, making it overall better for plant growth. I'd try to snag a 24/7 if you could, or if you're ok spending a bit more there are other great LEDs out there (BML, ecoxotic, current satellite plus pro).

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LoL. Ah its great to see people on here have a sense of humor.

In all seriousness just got the planted+ 24/7 and couldn't justify buying my 3rd current plus pro. I really enjoy it, par values are great for medium to high (depending on light height). I was actually set to buy the ray2, till fresh and azmodan steered me away from it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would any of the more expensive fixtures work as a standalone? I know I would need two 24/7.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BuildmyLED definitely could. You'll likely pay a little more but you'll get what you pay for in terms of overall strength and quality.

The current sat pro or ecoexotic eseries would kick out solid med/high light on that tank. Bml would be the end all be all choice for me though.. a Dutch xb would take you anywhere you wanted to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't 2 planted+ 24/7 provide better coverage at a cheaper price point over the Sat + Pro or BML? I mean you would be paying a lot extra just to have a single light over the tank? With 24/7 you would only use a total of ~7in across the tank vs 3 1/2in with a single Sat + Pro.

24/7 48in * 2 = $266
BML DUTCH PLANTED 6300K - XB SERIES = $325
Sat + Pro = $287

Wouldn't 2 planted+ 24/7 provide better coverage at a cheaper price point over the Sat + Pro or BML? I mean you would be paying a lot extra just to have a single light over the tank? With 24/7 you would only use a total of ~7in across the tank vs 3 1/2in with a single Sat + Pro.

24/7 48in * 2 = $266

Sat + Pro = $287

I think the biggest con against the 24/7 is that the 24/7 mode is not adjustable. You for sure probably get better spread with two fixtures but one BML is still gonna be pretty good on the average tank, and I think you can customize that too (don't have a BML so someone else might need to chime in on that). Dual 24/7s is definitely a fantastic option though if you're looking to save a bit, there are just other options depending on what your budget is. One fixture also better satisfies that often common desire amongst planted folk for a clean minimalist look, although that of course varies in importance with each person.

Well its adjustable by fine tuning and using a lamp timer. But other than that you're right. Up to what matters most... What can you live with. +1

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

24/7 48in * 2 = $266
Sat + Pro = $287
Yes they would give much better coverage.

Back
Top Bottom