Fire extinguisher as CO2 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
So they can't get Sherwood products?

Did they say what the exact size of the mouth is?

I have no idea to either question. My wife said to answer you second question it was either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". When I measure it I can't really tell for sure, seems to be around both (its tough to measure a round surface with all the hardware in the way).

Here's what I'm wondering though. I wonder if they were looking at the wrong piece to remove. One of the pieces looks to be the right size for the 320 piece you were referring to that I need. I'm wondering if instead of connecting at the base of the tank, this CO2 is setup to attach through the handle portion. Here's some pics to better illustrate what I'm saying:

extinguisher1.jpg

extinguisher2.jpg

extinguisher3.jpg

extinguisher4.jpg

extinguisher5.jpg

1.125-12UNF

1" 1/8 is the size of the one I have here.. Probably the same as yours..

It mounts between your thumb and index finger in the bottom pic.

I'll call the place I dealt with (and retrofitted my tank) and see what the exact part is tomorrow. You might be able to find it on the net and get them to install it.

You could also ask them to add one to their next order since they didn't say they don't exist, just that they don't carry them.

http://www.catalinacylinders.com/valveco2.html

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
1.125-12UNF

1" 1/8 is the size of the one I have here.. Probably the same as yours..

It mounts between your thumb and index finger in the bottom pic.

I'll call the place I dealt with (and retrofitted my tank) and see what the exact part is tomorrow. You might be able to find it on the net and get them to install it.

You could also ask them to add one to their next order since they didn't say they don't exist, just that they don't carry them.

http://www.catalinacylinders.com/valveco2.html

If you look really closely in the first pic (probably the most in-focus) you can see the seal between the CO2 tank and the fire regulator. They seem to have used some form of epoxy to attach the two. I'm wondering if that's something that easily comes off with the right equipment? I don't have a vice or other large sturdy thing to hold the tank in place and trying to unscrew the head while holding the tank made my wife and sister laugh at me (it was just spinning in my hands).

Glad to see this CAN be retrofitted, I'm wondering now how incompetent the people we dealt with were...

EDIT:

I figured there was a mathmatical relationship between circumference and diameter of a circle (there had to be right? :) ), so I googled on it and came up with

Circumference = pi * diameter

So if I measure the circumference of the opening with string and divide by 3.14159 I can get the exact diameter of the opening. Yes this is like 4th grade math class, but I coudn't remember it man! I'll do it when I get home from work and post. One quick question though, am I measuring the threaded portion or the base of the tank (where it connects to the tank I mean)? I don't know if the dimension I'm looking for is the inner threaded distance (of the actual fitting), or the outer threaded distance (the threads of the CO2 tank)? They don't look the same but maybe its an optical illusion.

Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT #2:

Just got home from work and measured the fitting. It is 4" in circumference so by that formula it would be 1 1/4". Is there any way you can find out if my calculation/measurement is wrong? Unfortunately there is a very small difference between the two and I could easily see me making a small error.

Sorry, didn't realize you edited it..

4" is the outside of the thread diameter, so you need to subtract the thread thickness making it 1 1/8".. I'll Measure mine..

1 1/4" 1.2500" 31.7500mm

That is what I measure outside the threads.

regtop.jpg

So yours should be identical. Perhaps calling a place that deals with Fire extiguishers would be a good idea.. Just let them know you want to retrofit and hydro test a 15lb with a CGA320 fitting.. They will more then likely have them.

Thanks for the reply. I emailed a local fire suppression company to see if they can help, and I'll probably be stopping by the local fire department to see as well. I can't believe how difficult this is to get a simple fitting replacement and fill. I could understand the hydro testing being a PITA, but heck if I had a vice big enough to hold this stupid tank I'd remove it myself...

Still batting zero trying to find a place to service my tank.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz,

Can you send me a link to where I can buy this fitting? I think my best bet is to have the fitting ready so when/if? I actually find a place that can service it I already have the fitting for them. Thanks for all your help so far.

Spoke with the place today, and they do replace them all the time, I'll get whatever information I can next Monday. the guy that deals with tanks is in Jamaica (must be nice)

I'll just send my tank up to you and you're place can deal with it! :) Please let me know when you find out.

I talked to Mike down there and the valves are 40$ here, I bought the whole tank filled for 90, You can get brand new ones down there (5lb Aluminum for 50$, 10lb for 70$) so I don't think it's really worth the cost, since you still have to have the tank hydro'd (+5-10$) so you're sitting at 50$ to get that one running, or 50$ for a brand new one..

The guy wouldn't say if it was 1.125, but he did say that 10lb and up all had the same size which makes it the right one.

Back
Top Bottom