Fire extinguisher as CO2 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to get some people's thoughts on this.

We moved into our house about 3 years ago and the previous owners had left a 20-25lb fire extinguisher. This thing is HEAVY, but has never been used. Is this a viable tank for CO2 injection or is the pressure too low (ie it will run out quickly), or is there other additives in extinguishers I don't know about? Thanks.

There are definitely other materials in a working co2 powered extinguisher. Also they work on a pressure that is many times lower than what a normal co2 cylinder would hold. Take a look on the top of the extinguisher, is there a pressure gauge? I think full is only in the 100 psi range. You would get to know your co2 filling station guy quite well.

I am going to use a heavy duty fire extinguisher as a CO2 cylinder. Make use it is a CO2 extinguisher though and not a powder one. It should work fine as long as you change the top fitting. Pressure test it to be safe.

Punky is correct, there are some extinguishers that are rated for Co2. They were used to replace halon systems when halon was deemed "toxic and ozone unsafe". Never will a Co2 rated fire extinguisher have a pressure gauge tho.

Best to ask a place that does Hydro testing tho, they can tell you with some certainty if it will handle liquid Co2 or not.

Wow, I can't believe that was asked the day before I posted. I frequent this site normally once a day and have never seen a similar question come up.

As for my specific tank it is NOT the traditional rolled steel mentioned in the other thread. I just brought it inside and its a 15lb tank. It is HEAVY (I ballpark it around 50lbs), and the metal is quite thick, it reminds me of a slightly stunted diving O2 tank. I'm familiar with the cheap ones sold for homes, this looks to be an industrial extinguisher that I would imagine could put out quite a large fire if needed (has the large cone end for dousing). I'll go grab a pic and post it up later.

Still thinking if I can find a good 5 or 10lb tank I'll keep this for actual fire duties, but wanted to check in first. I'm concerned about additional chemicals that could kill the tank.

Can anyone ballpark a 5lb and 10lb tank cost?

EDIT:

Here's the pics, sorry for some of the blurry ones, I couldn't get good shots without a flash, and its a circular container.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire4.jpg

fire5.jpg

I paid $68 for my five pounder, and the same place costs about $8-9 for a refill.

Edited to add: I purchased mine from a local welder supply company, in the industrial part of town (if that makes any difference...)

Ouch, that's quite expensive (I thought 5lb'ers where in the $30-40 range)! Here's hoping the tank I have can be easily converted!

good news 7enigma..

D.O.T. 3AA1800 is a high pressure Co2 Cylinder.

You will need to bring it in to get the valve replaced with a standard CGA fitting and get the tank hydro tested since it looks like the last test was in 1970.. but it looks in good shape and should pass (unless there are stresses, but that's why hydro testing is done)

That tank should cost about 40$ tops to have in service.. a welding shop can tell you where to get it hydro'd and retrofitted with the correct valve.

Yours is identical to mine, (DOT 3AA1800) but mines a 10lb. Bought from a Fire Systems place (go figure).. and mines the same bright red..

For future reference, acceptible tanks for Co2 Transportation/Storage are

DOT-3A1800;
DOT-3AX1800;
DOT-3AA1800;
DOT-3AAX1800;
DOT-3;
DOT-3E1800;
DOT-3T1800;
DOT-3HT2000;
DOT-39;
DOT-3AL1800.

And require Hydro testing every 3 to 5 years (depends on tank, if it's expired, they won't fill it)

Look at 7enigma's cylinder. Notice the lack of any seams on the container. If he were to turn it on end so we could see the bottom there wouldn't be a seam there either. I tried to explain that liquid vessels are DRAWN. They take one piece of metal and pull it into the shape you see.

The container posted by kaz clearly has a seam visible from the side. In fact it has a couple. It was designed for GAS storage. It will not handle the pressure of liquified gas.

Do you see a DOT rating on the top? is it in the list. I assume it isn't since there is a gauge on the side of the handle.

pressure tested to 585psi.
pressueized with nitrogen to 195psi

Tells me that it isn't rated to the 800+PSI that Co2 can reach (in hot summer months, 1100 is not uncommon, @ room temperature mine is at 850PSI and it's on the cold floor)

This is NOT a liquid Co2 capable container.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz,

Thanks so much for your help. Especially with the name of the fitting I need it to be replaced with. This tank should last quite a while once filled! :)

in a 20Gal High? I wouldn't think it'll need a refill until it's next hydro test date..

And No problem.

BTW, from what I can collect from mine (Which was spun in 1969 :O) is the Valve is made by Sherwood, Model is TV (probably a plated version at some point in it's history) and the other numbers I can read are

46 2w
CGA 320
16N

Not 100% sure what it means,

Inlet I'm pretty sure is 1.125-12UNF-2B

CGA320 is the valve outlet you will require..

indust4c.jpg

Pretty sure that is what mine looked like at some point in it's life..

http://www.sherwoodvalve.com/products/indust4.htm

You have no idea how much that helped! 8O

EDIT: Spoke with a welder at work here and he gave me some local businesses that he frequently uses for tank work. Hopefully I can get this up and running within a week or two! I may have made my last batch of YEAST! :D

EDIT: So since I have to get the fitting changed there's no reason why I can't have some fun releasing the pressure right? :wink: I think I might take this outside today and let off some steam. I've read you can make dry ice by shooting an extinguisher into a pillow case, I might have to try that.

I was going over some numbers and it looks like 15lbs of compressed CO2 might cause quite a dangerous situation if it ever leaked out in a quick period of time. Like able to displace all of the air in the lower portion of the house! I'll need to make sure all the fittings when installed are properly leak free! Obviously I'll be doing the "fun" outside, in an open area.

If it's leaking fast enough for that, I'm prtty sure the noise would wake your neighbours up.. Discharge of a Co2 tank full bore will be extremely loud.

Well today (to my neighbors dismay :) ) I got home from work and decided to empty my 15lb CO2 tank. I should have grabbed some shots, but needless to say a 15ft long 3ft wide plume of CO2 greeted me when I pulled the handle. It was also VERY loud, and if I was to have emptied the whole thing in a single blast it probably wouldn't have lasted more than 20-25 seconds.

:D

:cry: Bad news. My wife went to drop off the CO2 tank today while I was at work and called me saying that they cannot retrofit the tank due to the mouth of the tank being too large. Something to the effect that they don't have an adapter more than 1". I can't believe that is true, but my wife said they called some other place locally and also received the no go.

I don't know what to do or whom to contact. If anyone in the SE PA area knows of a good shop that can help me out that would be great.

I gotta go make a new batch of yeast up.... :(

Back
Top Bottom