First betta. New 5gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have just set up a 5gal for my first ever betta! I only found out three days ago that my friends were getting me a betta for my birthday so I had to quickly through something together. It's a crypt only tank that I have been thinking about for a while. Hope you enjoy

I'm crazy about this guy been just sitting there watching this guy hoping he will get use to my presence so I can eventually teach him tricks and so forth.

Substrate: river sand
Flora: crypt walkeri, the mystery potted crypt you get at a commercial store (labeled potted crypt parva) no way the large crypts at the back are parva...more likely some wendtii variation. And there is also a crypt balansae
Fauna: betta-crown tail, planning on getting some mts
Have just a general desk lamp that is full spectrum that should provide enough light with crypts. Filter is an aquaone mini was going to get a Hagen mini but due to the speed in which I needed to setup the tank I had to run to a local store and couldn't buy online. Isn't a need for a heater just yet as its summer here and my room is around 24 degrees monitoring temp with a thermometer though. Also got some Osmocote root tabs in there.

I went for a river style theme which I know doesn't suit the betta but the flow from the filter with the spray bar at the highest setting doesn't push him around. He hides then comes out for a quick burst and back to the cover of the crypts.

Very nice betta! :) But I still think the tank needs something extra... Like a giant piece of wood.

Did you only set up the tank three days in advance? If so, please monitor your fish for a while. Bettas are hardy but even they don't like uncycled tanks.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Very nice betta! :) But I still think the tank needs something extra... Like a giant piece of wood.

Did you only set up the tank three days in advance? If so, please monitor your fish for a while. Bettas are hardy but even they don't like uncycled tanks.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I know I'm looking out for something more bogwood like that is small enough to not completely take up all swimming space for him. Thinking top right corner coming over the rock. I've taken real inspiration from my local creeks that I fish in that are freshwater mountain creeks.
I'm very aware of the danger with the uncycled tank. I've changed his water last night as I put him in not 100% about 50% but I used water from my established tank hoping that some part of doing so would be more beneficial for him then filtered water.

Is using water from my established tank safer for him then filtered water? I thought that the nitrates in this water that I'm putting in there would be safer for him.

Use Prime on any Tap Water.

There is no benefit from adding tank water. You can squeeze filter material from established tank into his filter to help seed some BB.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Prime on any Tap Water.

There is no benefit from adding tank water. You can squeeze filter material from established tank into his filter to help seed some BB.

Ok thanks. I'll squeeze some media in there. I use dechlorinated filtered water on all my tanks. Tap water is super high in ph and hard

You can also use part tap/part distilled if needed since it's a small tank.

Indian Almond Leaves are also nice for Betta tanks.

Back
Top Bottom