First C02 system!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I just wanted to share and say thanks (especially Fresh20). After weeks of deliberating on a C02 system I finally went all out and made a major investment.
Back in September I started a planted tank using only liquid C02 and it was great for a while, but became frustrating. I could not keep up with the C02 levels and my lighting was way too strong for my low light plants. I was sick of melting Jungle val and wanted to spare my Anacharis so I almost completely stopped dosing c02! Yeah pretty stupid. Algae big time.
I had to take it all apart and started dosing liquid C02 almost directly on the Anubias plants with a syringe. They are SLOWLY coming back.
I was super nervous and kept thinking about giving up, but made the huge decision to go pressurized because my fish appeared to love the real plants. They spend a lot of time in the plants. Here's what I got...:D
I love the LED attachment on the solenoid, because it's easy for me to see what's going on. I got a 15gallon c02 tank! I like the way it looks next to the tank.
How long will a 15gallon tank last?
The next picture is my tank. I put it in the context of the room because as you can see, my plants are pretty basic (not too much to show off) but I really love the look, I think it completes my home. My old plants may look funny, especially the Temple Leaf because it lost all it's bottom leaves when I stopped dosing.
I'm really glad I didn't go pressurized until I figured out the lighting schedule/needs of my plants.
Despite making some major mistakes, I feel like I've got my feet on the ground now. The pressurized C02 was just about the best thing I've done. Way more easy than I could have imagined. I'm still dosing the Anubias with liquid c02 and surprisingly my Anacharis never melted. It's only been a few days, but I see a huge improvement in the tank. I love my Geophagus and decided to go for almost no root plants. I know it doesn't compare to most of the insanely beautiful tanks on this forum, but I'm in love with it.
Thank you so much, you guys continue to be really helpful. You've made this simple.

I know you say you've made some major mistakes, but your tank looks really good to me. (y)

I'm gradually dipping my toes into the CO2 world, too: first Excel, and next will be DIY using citric acid. And if I ever go pressurized, GLA is where I'll buy my regulator.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your tank develops! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom