First DIY co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicalmackdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I have a ten gallon tank that is low tech. I want a small project to do, and Everything grows pretty slow, and i want to try some plants that are not low-tech oriented. And i have alot of unwanted algea.
Soo im going to make my own co2 setup! But i have a few questions.
1. Does co2 curb algae, or promote it? Ive heard alot of mixed opinions...
2. I want to have a shrimp colony, will co2 be dangerous?
3. I have 2.4w over my tank, is that enough to dose co2, or is that not considered "high".
4. Im dosing comprehensive once a week, is that enough fert?
Id also love to hear about your guys experience with DIY co2 in a small tank, or maybe if you know of a small pressurized system that would be better?
Thanks for your help! :)
Mack

Hello all. I have a ten gallon tank that is low tech. I want a small project to do, and Everything grows pretty slow, and i want to try some plants that are not low-tech oriented. And i have alot of unwanted algea.
Soo im going to make my own co2 setup! But i have a few questions.
1. Does co2 curb algae, or promote it? Ive heard alot of mixed opinions...
2. I want to have a shrimp colony, will co2 be dangerous?
3. I have 2.4w over my tank, is that enough to dose co2, or is that not considered "high".
4. Im dosing comprehensive once a week, is that enough fert?
Id also love to hear about your guys experience with DIY co2 in a small tank, or maybe if you know of a small pressurized system that would be better?
Thanks for your help! :)
Mack

1. Neither. Carbon is a needed nutrient for plants. It alone does not curb or promote algae.
2. I have cherry and amano shrimp in tanks with over 35ppm of co2. The cherries breed like rabbits.
3. Depends on the light. As long as the light is in the 5k to 10k color spectrum should be ok. 2.4w (I assume you mean watts per gallon) is not a lot over a ten gallon tank. However even low light tanks can benefit from co2.
4. I'm not real familiar with comprehensive but I believe it is only for micro nutrients. Generally you will want to dose the macros (nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate) and micros (iron, etc). You may want to read through this thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-guide-to-fertilizing-your-planted-aquarium-53371.html . Also here is a calculator to show what you are dosing with the flourish comprehensive Yet Another Nutrient Calculator .

Peyton said:
1. Neither. Carbon is a needed nutrient for plants. It alone does not curb or promote algae.
2. I have cherry and amano shrimp in tanks with over 35ppm of co2. The cherries breed like rabbits.
3. Depends on the light. As long as the light is in the 5k to 10k color spectrum should be ok. 2.4w (I assume you mean watts per gallon) is not a lot over a ten gallon tank. However even low light tanks can benefit from co2.
4. I'm not real familiar with comprehensive but I believe it is only for micro nutrients. Generally you will want to dose the macros (nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate) and micros (iron, etc). You may want to read through this thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-guide-to-fertilizing-your-planted-aquarium-53371.html . Also here is a calculator to show what you are dosing with the flourish comprehensive Yet Another Nutrient Calculator .

Wow thanks, that helped alot.
Yep my light is 6500k and 2.4w per gal
Thank you for the links!

Back
Top Bottom